Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

XP Freezes on Start-up

Windows XP Support

Old 02-03-2009

XP Freezes on Start-up

Hello, I think this is a common problem but I couldn't seem to find a solution that worked on any of the previous threads.

I have a Gateway laptop running Windows XP Home Edition. It started freezing on start-up a while ago but it used to go ahead and start up the next time so it was no big deal. Now though, it will freeze either at the Windows loading screen when the status bar is going across or at the user log in screen. If it manages to start up then it will freeze after about 30 seconds after the desk top comes up.

I am able to load windows in Safe Mode with no freezing.

I have already completely re-installed windows.

I have ran virus scans which did not find anything and since I did a complete reinstall, I think that should be safe but I am not sure.

I did a MSCONFIG and disabled anything that was not Microsoft related to do a clean boot but that also did not help.

I did not install any new hardware recently. I uninstalled Norton in case that was the problem. Any software I might have installed went away with the windows reinstall.

Any suggestions?

Thanks so much

Old 02-03-2009

Re: XP Freezes on Start-up

Can you tell us whats the model number of your laptop? How much ram does it has? Have you used Norton's removal tool to uninstall Norton Antivirus? What was the steps that gateway provided to reinstall Windows? When configuring a clean boot, have you performed all the steps listed in the below link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353
Old 02-03-2009

Did you try to check in the System and Application logs in Event Viewer for errors and warnings and post the reports here? You can get into Event Viewer by choosing Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer. After researching the meaning of the error, information about Event ID, Source and Description are important:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308427/en-us
Old 02-03-2009

You can also try to boot into Safe Mode and then go to Start > Run > Msconfig. After that under the startup tab disable everything that is checked. Now you have to go to services tab and click on "Hide all microsoft services" and if any other is left then disable that as well. After that you can try to normally boot again.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: