Thread: Installing Red Alert 1 without the disc

Installing Red Alert 1 without the disc

Hey

I have legally downloaded the disc contents of the two Red Alert 1 discs from EA's homepage. It was a of their campaign when Red Alert 3 came out.

The problem is now that when I try to install Red Alert 1 on my XP-computer it doesn't want to install the game from the folder, it wants to load it off the disc. Is there any way I can get around this to install the game without the disc? Will it work if I burn a cd-rom with the content of the folder?

Thanks for your help!

mrkipp

PS. I have steps the neccessary steps when it comes to compability issue.

Have you tried to contact the EA support team? There could be some installation guide for this issue. You can also go over any instructions that came with the download.

I did follow the instructions that came with the download files and they worked for their part. The problem, however, was that when I tried to run the install.exe it kept saying that I needed to put in the Red Alert (RA) disc which I of course lost years ago and didnt have since I downloaded the game.

I found the answer to all my RA problems on another forum in an answer for another but similar question. The person behind the answer suggested the use of the program Daemon Tools which is a 'virtual disc' program. I hadn't tried using a program like that before but it was very easy;

I made two 'images' of the two RA discs (Allied and Soviet) I had downloaded, and then I ran one of the images.

From there on the installation went smoothly and I have now enjoyed my first RA1 game in the past 10 years or so.

I hope this information can be helpful to others.

PS. Joe, I'm sad to hear that your game keeps crashing. I hope you can solve the problem, and I hope that my game can stay crash-free as it has so far.