Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links



Change original user's name on folder under Documents and Settings

Windows XP Support


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 23-02-2009
Patty
 
Posts: n/a
Change original user's name on folder under Documents and Settings

Hi,

I bought a slightly used computer which is working just fine, but it annoys
me that I can't get some of the folders that were set up under the first
owner changed from her name to mine. It is specifically under the C: drive,
under the computer make, under the Documents and Settings.

I can click on the name and I get a prompt to rename but when I try, I am
told that it is a Windows system file and cannot be renamed or moved.

Is there anything I can do to get rid of the previous owner's identity
forever and make this computer completely mine short of wiping out everything
and starting over?

Thanks for any input/suggestions.
--
Patty

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 23-02-2009
Shenan Stanley
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Change original user's name on folder under Documents and Settings

Patty wrote:
> I bought a slightly used computer which is working just fine, but
> it annoys me that I can't get some of the folders that were set up
> under the first owner changed from her name to mine. It is
> specifically under the C: drive, under the computer make, under the
> Documents and Settings.
>
> I can click on the name and I get a prompt to rename but when I
> try, I am told that it is a Windows system file and cannot be
> renamed or moved.
>
> Is there anything I can do to get rid of the previous owner's
> identity forever and make this computer completely mine short of
> wiping out everything and starting over?


Create a new account. Start using it. Once you have everything over on it
you need, delete the old account.

Best though - slightly used or not - to wipe it and start from scratch.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
--
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html


Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-03-2009
shawn
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Change original user's name on folder under Documents and Settings

I'm with Shenan. If you have a restore disc or Windows disc I'd wipe
everything clean and start fresh.... unless you know the person you bought
it from. I'd be concerned about stuff like hidden keylogging software that
automatically emails the other person everything you type.

"Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:u$Aa0LVlJHA.1216@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> Patty wrote:
>> I bought a slightly used computer which is working just fine, but
>> it annoys me that I can't get some of the folders that were set up
>> under the first owner changed from her name to mine. It is
>> specifically under the C: drive, under the computer make, under the
>> Documents and Settings.
>>
>> I can click on the name and I get a prompt to rename but when I
>> try, I am told that it is a Windows system file and cannot be
>> renamed or moved.
>>
>> Is there anything I can do to get rid of the previous owner's
>> identity forever and make this computer completely mine short of
>> wiping out everything and starting over?

>
> Create a new account. Start using it. Once you have everything over on
> it you need, delete the old account.
>
> Best though - slightly used or not - to wipe it and start from scratch.
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>



Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-03-2009
Twayne
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Change original user's name on folder under Documents and Settings

Whether you know the person or not, it's still best to start fresh with
everything IMO. Because you know them doesn't mean there aren't
malwares and other things wrong with it. One creates enough headaches
of their own without having to have other's headaches added to the list.
That also has the added advantage of proving that you have everything
you need for that day in the future when everything crashes and you have
to do the complete rebuild anyway. If you've done it once, you KNOW it
should work again. If not, well ... .

Regards,

Twayne



shawn wrote:
> I'm with Shenan. If you have a restore disc or Windows disc I'd wipe
> everything clean and start fresh.... unless you know the person you
> bought it from. I'd be concerned about stuff like hidden keylogging
> software that automatically emails the other person everything you
> type.
> "Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:u$Aa0LVlJHA.1216@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>> Patty wrote:
>>> I bought a slightly used computer which is working just fine, but
>>> it annoys me that I can't get some of the folders that were set up
>>> under the first owner changed from her name to mine. It is
>>> specifically under the C: drive, under the computer make, under the
>>> Documents and Settings.
>>>
>>> I can click on the name and I get a prompt to rename but when I
>>> try, I am told that it is a Windows system file and cannot be
>>> renamed or moved.
>>>
>>> Is there anything I can do to get rid of the previous owner's
>>> identity forever and make this computer completely mine short of
>>> wiping out everything and starting over?

>>
>> Create a new account. Start using it. Once you have everything
>> over on it you need, delete the old account.
>>
>> Best though - slightly used or not - to wipe it and start from
>> scratch. --
>> Shenan Stanley
>> MS-MVP
>> --
>> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
>> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html




Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-03-2009
Patty
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Change original user's name on folder under Documents and Sett

Hi Shenan,

I have created a new account and I have been using it, but it seems like
there are certain files that I just can't get her name off of - they must
have been created when she originally registered the computer.

I appreciate the other people's comments also - I believe that this computer
was too limited for the previous owner's use so she returned it to the store.
It amazes me that the store didn't wipe out everything before reselling it to
me at a discount as a display model - yeah, I know, I'm guillable.

How do I go about "wiping out" everything to start over? nI am concerned
about the re-registering part - will it allow me to re-register? (Yes, I'm a
little wary of rocking the boat when everything seems to be working fine).

Thank you once again.
--
Patty


"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> Patty wrote:
> > I bought a slightly used computer which is working just fine, but
> > it annoys me that I can't get some of the folders that were set up
> > under the first owner changed from her name to mine. It is
> > specifically under the C: drive, under the computer make, under the
> > Documents and Settings.
> >
> > I can click on the name and I get a prompt to rename but when I
> > try, I am told that it is a Windows system file and cannot be
> > renamed or moved.
> >
> > Is there anything I can do to get rid of the previous owner's
> > identity forever and make this computer completely mine short of
> > wiping out everything and starting over?

>
> Create a new account. Start using it. Once you have everything over on it
> you need, delete the old account.
>
> Best though - slightly used or not - to wipe it and start from scratch.
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-03-2009
shawn
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Change original user's name on folder under Documents and Settings

Oh yeah, true. I didn't think that even though you know somebody it could
still have malware or a virus. Good thinking.

"Twayne" <nobody@devnull.spamcop.net> wrote in message
news:%23lbEBtCnJHA.3572@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Whether you know the person or not, it's still best to start fresh with
> everything IMO. Because you know them doesn't mean there aren't malwares
> and other things wrong with it. One creates enough headaches of their own
> without having to have other's headaches added to the list.
> That also has the added advantage of proving that you have everything
> you need for that day in the future when everything crashes and you have
> to do the complete rebuild anyway. If you've done it once, you KNOW it
> should work again. If not, well ... .
>
> Regards,
>
> Twayne
>
>
>
> shawn wrote:
>> I'm with Shenan. If you have a restore disc or Windows disc I'd wipe
>> everything clean and start fresh.... unless you know the person you
>> bought it from. I'd be concerned about stuff like hidden keylogging
>> software that automatically emails the other person everything you
>> type.
>> "Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:u$Aa0LVlJHA.1216@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>>> Patty wrote:
>>>> I bought a slightly used computer which is working just fine, but
>>>> it annoys me that I can't get some of the folders that were set up
>>>> under the first owner changed from her name to mine. It is
>>>> specifically under the C: drive, under the computer make, under the
>>>> Documents and Settings.
>>>>
>>>> I can click on the name and I get a prompt to rename but when I
>>>> try, I am told that it is a Windows system file and cannot be
>>>> renamed or moved.
>>>>
>>>> Is there anything I can do to get rid of the previous owner's
>>>> identity forever and make this computer completely mine short of
>>>> wiping out everything and starting over?
>>>
>>> Create a new account. Start using it. Once you have everything
>>> over on it you need, delete the old account.
>>>
>>> Best though - slightly used or not - to wipe it and start from
>>> scratch. --
>>> Shenan Stanley
>>> MS-MVP
>>> --
>>> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
>>> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

>
>
>



Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-03-2009
shawn
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Change original user's name on folder under Documents and Sett

Many newer computers store restore information right on a seperate partition
(section) of your hard drive. It usually will display a message on booting
up to hit F10 (although it could be another key). Pressing that will allow
you to restore your system as if it were factory fresh.

Depends on the brand of computer, though. Some computers instead come with
either a restore disc or a genuine Windows disc. You would put that in the
CD/DVD drive and turn on your computer. It should automatically load and
prompt you what to do.

Another option is to look where you bought the machine. If you bought it
recently at a place such as Staples or Best Buy, they will most certaintly
do the restore for you provided they sold you the restore disc with the
computer or that it's already on the hard drive. I am sure they'd rather do
the quick fix for you than have an unhappy customer.

Restoring your computer will make it "like it came from the factory".

"Patty" <Patty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:96E8674A-58E6-474F-B85F-08D95E0244BE@microsoft.com...
> Hi Shenan,
>
> I have created a new account and I have been using it, but it seems like
> there are certain files that I just can't get her name off of - they must
> have been created when she originally registered the computer.
>
> I appreciate the other people's comments also - I believe that this
> computer
> was too limited for the previous owner's use so she returned it to the
> store.
> It amazes me that the store didn't wipe out everything before reselling it
> to
> me at a discount as a display model - yeah, I know, I'm guillable.
>
> How do I go about "wiping out" everything to start over? nI am concerned
> about the re-registering part - will it allow me to re-register? (Yes, I'm
> a
> little wary of rocking the boat when everything seems to be working fine).
>
> Thank you once again.
> --
> Patty
>
>
> "Shenan Stanley" wrote:
>
>> Patty wrote:
>> > I bought a slightly used computer which is working just fine, but
>> > it annoys me that I can't get some of the folders that were set up
>> > under the first owner changed from her name to mine. It is
>> > specifically under the C: drive, under the computer make, under the
>> > Documents and Settings.
>> >
>> > I can click on the name and I get a prompt to rename but when I
>> > try, I am told that it is a Windows system file and cannot be
>> > renamed or moved.
>> >
>> > Is there anything I can do to get rid of the previous owner's
>> > identity forever and make this computer completely mine short of
>> > wiping out everything and starting over?

>>
>> Create a new account. Start using it. Once you have everything over on
>> it
>> you need, delete the old account.
>>
>> Best though - slightly used or not - to wipe it and start from scratch.
>>
>> --
>> Shenan Stanley
>> MS-MVP
>> --
>> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
>> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>>
>>
>>



Reply With Quote
Reply

  TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: ,



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads for: "Change original user's name on folder under Documents and Settings"
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Documents and Settings/User Folder Inaccessible while upgraded to windows 7 Girijaa Operating Systems 4 24-01-2011 12:04 PM
I can?t access Documents & Settings/User Folder in windows 7 Mewad Operating Systems 5 22-01-2011 07:42 PM
Permissions Documents and Settings Folder John Vista Help 5 20-03-2010 07:00 PM
Strange user profile path change to C:\Documents and Settings\TEMP NZSchoolTech Windows Server Help 4 28-02-2009 02:53 PM
Can't Access the Documents and Settings folder glamart Vista Help 14 19-04-2007 10:56 AM


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:16 AM.