Thread: Installed Live Messenger on XP SP3, but only Messenger 4.7 starts

Installed Live Messenger on XP SP3, but only Messenger 4.7 starts

Hi, I have Windows XP Home SP3 running with 2.8GGHz Celeron processor with 2 GB RAM and is connected through Linksys wireless/wired router. Now recently I installed Windows Live Messenger 14.0.8050.1202. The installation went fine without any problem. I even made a video call and quality was superb. It worked fine for the day. The next morning when I tried to open Windows Live Messenger by clicking its icon, instead of opening version 14.0, it launched older version (4.7.3001). I can see the newer version is installed but don’t know how to open it. Can anyone please tell me how can I get rid of the older version permanently and use the newer version of Live Messenger?

Thanks for your helps.

Re: Installed Live Messenger on XP SP3, but only Messenger 4.7 starts

The original Live messenger whome you are calling the older version comes preloaded with Windows XP. You should first remove the same from the system to get the new one. You can do this by going to control panel -> software -> Installed Windows software. Once done, restart the system and then install the newer version.

What are you saying Knud. Do you want to say i should remove older Live Messenger by going to "Add or remove Programs"? If yes, let me tell you that Live messenger is windows component and it wont show up in Add and Remove applet. Also as you mentioned above there is no path similar to "software -> installed Windows software" anywhere in the control panel. I hope you are using Windows operating system itself.

Re: Installed Live Messenger on XP SP3, but only Messenger 4.7 starts

Yes CoreTin, i know what i said and i am using Windows XP itself. In the Dutch version it is called "software". If you see the list properly on the left side when you open Add and Remove applet, there is a button (third from above) called "Add or remove Windows-component" which is called 'Windows Parts' in Dutch version. Click this and you'll see another list with programs, which have check-boxes. Here you will find Windows Messenger in the last. You just need to remove the tick and then the "next" button, etc. etc. This will remove the built-in Messenger. Thats it

Hey guys, stop your debates and follow the below mentioned steps to get rid of the problem. Start by opening Control Panel > add/remove programs > Click "add windows components" in the left pane. Now uncheck windows messenger. Restart the system. Now, the downloaded Windows Live Messenger appears on the program list. You are done.