Thread: cannot boot - get blue screen

cannot boot - get blue screen

I was using this desktop with Windows XP SP3 since past 8 months. I never had any problem so far but 2 days ago I visited a website and something got downloaded on my PC after more than 15 pop ups. I immediately closed my browser but before that I think the website loaded some virus on my system because since then this computer is behaving weird.

Next morning when I started the computer as soon as I reached the desktop, received a BSOD. It started looping right there,. After few hours, now I am not able to reach upto the Welcome screen as well. I tough I can try some troubleshooting using the command prompt but now the system is now even allowing me to reach "safe mode with command prompt" option. Before reaching the boot options, I get the Bluscreen with the following error message:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a drive is identified in the Stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select safe mode.

Technical information: ***STOP: 0x0000007E (0xc0000005, 0x000042CA, 0xF8C6E548, 0xF8C6E244)

Can anyone here please provide me some solution for this? Wiping out or formatting the hard drive will be bit difficult for me because I have important data stored on the drive.

Please help.

Re: cannot boot - get blue screen

If you are not able to use command prompt (XP has no DOS) alternatively you can use your Windows XP installation CD to boot to the recovery console. If you have the CD with you, follow the steps provided in this KB: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058

RE: cannot boot - get blue screen

Well i have been though such situation earlier. In my case after trying a lot i was not able to retrive data from the dead HDD hence i took it to a computer shop. Those guys somehow recovered some info from my hard disk, but the rest was gone.