Thread: How to start a program at boot up?

How to start a program at boot up?

I need some help here to start a program automatically on the startup. But somehow there is a issue with the same. I had added the problem at schedule task but still it is not working well. The application that I am trying use on boot is Filemon.exe. I am hope there are people who are aware about the same. So can anyone guide me to go for a process that can help me to put the application on startup. I did that but it is not working.

Re: How to start a program at boot up?

By adding that in the schedule task it must work fine. But if not then try to keep a shortcut of the same on your desktop and then check back. You must place the shortcut on the desktop and double click on the same to launch it. It is one of the best way to keep program on startup. You can also drag the same in startup folder of Start Menu and see whether it is working fine or not. There are some third party software also available that you can try.

I think in schedule task you cannot directly insert a .exe file. There is one thing you can do. First create a shortcut for that program. This is also a launcher. Once you are done with the shortcut just put the link location in the schedule task and assign it to launch on the boot. Upon restart your system and test whether it is launching on boot or not.

You can also do the same through windows registry. The location for keeping the file shortcut is HKLM > Software > Microsoft > Windows > Run. It is the place where you have to provide the location and then test back. I am sure upon boot the application will be on your screen and it will be working well. If this does not work then you can try one more thing. You can use some kind of third party software for launch.

Is it possible to add a program that runs in the background, *before* any user logs in to Windows?

There are some tools that can help you for the issue. You have to search for AutoRun applications. This are freely available on web that helps you to run applications on launch and they are far more reliable compare to schedule task. You can use them as an active tool on your system compared to the integrated utility. This are very light applications available that does not occupy much space in the memory.

When you configure the application on auto-launch it is comes automatically under startup. But if not then there are chances it is being blocked. That can be due to Antivirus. Try to add the file under exception list of antivirus and then check back. Most of the auto-run and startup applications are usually blocked by the antivirus. Just for some time disable the antivirus service and check back. I am sure that will be working well.

Try WinPatrol. This is one of the easy to use tool that allow you to configure startup applications. It is a powerful startup management utility that offers you basic as well as advance option to configure application on launch. You can simply delay the application launch based on your requirement. It simply easy to use and much more reliable compared to schedule task. There is a separate section available as startup program where you find all application that are configured for startup.

Try to delete the old applications first and then follow my procedure. Go in Task Schedular and simply start the program. Click on create task. In that you can find a trigger section. This is the place where you have to control the behavior of application you want to start on boot. If there is any problem you can go inside event log and collect information about the issue.

You can also configure the same using a batch script and I am sure that is going to help you much. You can find a script of the same from web and use it to configure the application that you want to launch. It is much easier. You can create the same using a notepad also. I cannot post sample here because of difference in location of application.