Thread: abort code :0x80004004

Abort code :0x80004004

I am here trying to update windows live messenger. But whenever I try to do the same I am getting a error on the screen. The error is 0x80004004. I am not able to find any solution for the same. I had tried ample of things to run the update but nothing works. Can anyone guide me how to fix this. The existing version of Windows live messenger does not looks to be working fine. It is a bit freezing and also performs slow. I going to run system restore here and hope that it will work.

After downloading msicuu2 program, what are steps to actually remove old Messenger and Windows Live files? I had the same problem, and searched for days trying to find a solution. finally got something that worked for me. I downloaded and installed windows install cleanup. Then removed all windows live and messenger using this. once that was done the live installer worked fine.

You're a true sage. Check the forums and you'll see there are loads of people out there seeing the same issue and all sorts of nonsense solutions being proposed, even including re-install OS! This worked perfectly and quickly. Live messenger 2009 now up and running happily on XP home. For the those reading this, the application gordy links to looks to be a very powerful MS uninstaller and I ran with a great deal of caution. It did the trick.
    Thanks again.

I had that problem, this was on vista64. Eventually, I found a logfile in C:\Users\Coop\AppData\Local\Temp called MSI7f661.log (random filename, just look for the newest file after running the install). The logfile will tell you where to look exactly, but MSN creates a hidden .cache directory. To see it from explorer, you'll have to make system and hidden files visible by altering the view settings of the folder options applet. In my case, the directory was "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Windows Live\.cache", so I guess on 32 bit vista it would be "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Windows Live\.cache"

In that folder, messenger and the other live programs keep a cache of the downloaded files. One of those must have been corrupt and re-used at every install. So I just deleted the .cache directory and reinstalled. It worked fine then.

Re: abort code :0x80004004

Thank you so much for this post. I had also been searching for answers to help with this and this worked GREAT. Thank you again!

Re: abort code :0x80004004

I tried both of the methods mentioned but had no luck whatsoever, what I did notice on the installer was it always seemed to start to roll back at about 93% which was AFTER the messenger installer, so I went to this folder

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Windows Live\.cache

and looked through the sub folders untill i found the messenger live installer and double clicked it, it loaded windows live on with no trouble and none of the other crap, the folder i found the installer in was called

23a645d21ca8487

hope this helps someone.