Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Lost active desktop - how to restore

Windows XP Support

Old 29-01-2009

Lost active desktop - how to restore

I am using a Compaq laptop and running Windows XP SP3 on it. My cousin was cleaning his desktop and highlighted an icon and used "send to". Now all I am getting is the wallpaper and mouse pointer. He dosent remember which icon nor where "send-to". I am able to boot in both regular and safe mode but have no keys nor desktop to work with, only mouse pointer. How do I restore my desktop? Thanks for any help.

Old 29-01-2009

Re: Lost active desktop - how to restore

I think that your cousin might have right-clicked on the desktop and selected Arrange Icons By > Show Desktop Icons. Simply replace the checkmark.
Old 29-01-2009

I am not able to see anything of the desktop. All I have is a background wallpaper and the mouse pointer. There are no keys that are working on right click on screen even in safe mode. How am I suppose to find the location to restore the desktop?
Old 29-01-2009

Are you able to get anything when you right click on the blank desktop? What happens when you right click on the taskbar?
Old 29-01-2009

Can you try to right click on the blank desktop and does a box come up? How about when you right click on where the taskbar and Start button would normally be? Are you getting any choice when you log in as to be Admin or other?
Old 30-01-2009

To solve this issue, check the below article on "How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting":

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: