Thread: Help! Blue Screen of Death- volsnap.sys

Help! Blue Screen of Death- volsnap.sys

All of my sudden my work laptop won't boot up at all. IT's a Dell Latitude with XP. It tries to boot, then goes into the blue screen of death. It won't boot in safe mode as I get a screen full of win/sys32/drivers/ lines. It then goes right back into the blue screen from there. The technical information is as follows-

Technical Information:

***STOP: 0X0000007E (0XC0000005, OXF76CC154, 0XF7AFF800, OXF7AFF4FC)

*** Volsnap.sys - Address F76CC154 base at F76C4000, Datestamp 41107b6e

I don't have any of the original disks that came with the laptop, as it is a hand me down from the previous person who had this position.

Any help any one can give me in appreciated unbelievably!!!!

RE: Help! Blue Screen of Death- volsnap.sys

Check the article made on "How to troubleshoot a Stop 0x0000007E error in Windows XP":

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330182

Re: Help! Blue Screen of Death- volsnap.sys

You can try to disconnect all hardware peripherals except keyboard, mouse and monitor. Did you try last known good configuration? Check below for some information on the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222/en-us

Thanks for your thoughful layout of information. I can't believe its 2009 and I am still using DOS..........GEEEzzzzz. Anyway, having used Commodore Pets, 286's and the like, I am old enough to remember, and still keep my trusty DOS book.

My Dell Laptop froze and would NOT start. I kept getting blue screen with info saying there was a problem with the Volsnap.sys file, and reco's disabling caching and shadowing. The only catch is that Dell won't allow it in the BIOS. No options. I believe problem happend because computer was in hibernate with lid down, and I opened up and pressed the "off" button to do a quick de-power.

So I read your posting and another one, and I liked your idea about replacing the file. So I got into Windows recovery console and got on a DOS prompt. I then used your advice and replaced my "Volsnap.sys" file with the back up in the I386 directory. It "worked" like a charm!!!!! Now I actually erased the one in the drivers directory, and then copied the one from the I386 directory, to the drivers one. Admittedly, I had to look up the DOS syntax, but vaguely remember it from my prehistoric days.

My laptop now starts and I didn't have to figure out how to boot off a USB, or copy a Volsnap.sys from another computer......and thats Good.

Thanks again. YOur advice worked for my problem. I might comment that others having this problem seem to have Dell Computers, maybe theres predisposition.

I am glad that it worked for you and you are welcome.