Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Windows Explorer hangs when I double click files to open them

Windows XP Support

Old 21-01-2009

Windows Explorer hangs when I double click files to open them

Don?t know what went wrong with my system but I have a serious problem with it. Since yesterday I am not able to open any of my files from Windows Explorer. No matter which folder I open, whether it is My Computer, My Documents or any other folder, when I double click any file to open, explorer freezes completely and file wont open. After some time when I click X button to close it turns into not responding and the only way is to kill it from task manager.

As of now the only way is to open the application first (example Excel) and then browse to the file and open it. Here is the error I found in my Event Viewer log:
Quote:
Event Type: Information
Event Source: Winlogon
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1002
Date: 21/01/2009
Time: 10:23:49 PM
User: N/A
Computer: THFS
Description:
The shell stopped unexpectedly and Explorer.exe was restarted.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Somebody please help.

Old 17-02-2009

Re: Windows Explorer hangs when I double click files to open them

Hello Griffiths, just try out the following and see if it helps, i am not sure about it. The problem could be most probably because of the Corrupt Windows Explorer registry key. hence i would suggest you to better download and run the following registry key. Search Opens When Double Clicking A Folder. This will repair the key and hopefully your problem will be solved.

By the way make sure that your system is not infected with Virus or malware.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: , ,