Thread: Spooler Subsystem App closed by Data Execution Prevention

Spooler Subsystem App closed by Data Execution Prevention

I have installed Windows XP SP3 on my computer that has 1gb of ram. I have got 2 hard drives with 160gb and each with about 70gb of free space. If I started the system this morning, then Windows displayed a message headed "Data Execution Prevention" and also told "To help protect your computer, Windows has closed this program. Name: Spooler Subsystem App Publisher: Microsoft Corporation". I have 2 networked and 2 local printers that have now disappeared and when I am trying to reinstall them then Windows displays the message "Operation could not be completed. The print spooler service is not running." All things seems to be working fine except this. Can anyone tell me how to get the printer to work again? Thanks

Re: Spooler Subsystem App closed by Data Execution Prevention

You might have to start the printer spooler service in Services.msc or at a command prompt type net start spooler. There are many such spooler failures problem that are caused when print drivers corrup the memory of the process.

Re: Spooler Subsystem App closed by Data Execution Prevention

Thanks for the reply but that doesnt work. If I type "net start spooler" at the command prompt then I am getting the message "The Print Spooler service is starting. The Print Spooler service was started successfully." But If I am trying next to go to Printers and Faxes and click Add Printer, then I am getting the message "Operation could not be completed. The print spooler service is not running." Do you have any other ideas?

It might be that the service starts until it loads which corrupts the spooler memory and then terminates. If you want to debug the process and determine which file is causing the issue then you can go there but most peoplr would rather just get the spooler running again.

Did you try to find out what is causing the spooler service to fail. Just try to launch the task manager and then on the processes tab, change the view to include a column for PID. After that open a command window and then type net start spooler. After that you might have 1 minute to complete the below tasks. Find the spoolsv.exe in task manager and note the PID and then in the command prompt type: ntsd -p [PID for spoolsv.exe] -g -G. After that press enter and a bunch of module load info will scroll paste. When the process terminates you will see a prompt
    ntdll!DbgBreakPoint:
    7c822583 cc int 3
    0:001>

type k

It will then indicate which module is failing.

My friend was also having the same issue. It is the fact that you had installed a previous version of hptcpmon and the new version of the hptcpmon stops when it read the old registry data from the previous ones. You can solve this issue by deleting the old hptcpmon registry data and before installing the new driver with the updated verison of hptcpmon.dll, just go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors\HP Standard TCP/IP Port.