Thread: Startup error with powerpoint.exe starts and crashes unexpectedly

Startup error with powerpoint.exe starts and crashes unexpectedly

Hi, I am using a Windows XP desktop with MS Office 2003. Since last two days whenever I boot my system I get greeted by an error message saying "Microsoft Office Power Point (2003) has encountered a problem and needs to close." I am using this system and Office since past 1 year and never had any problem. This error started all of a sudden.

Anyways, while troubleshooting the same when I reach to Event Viewer I found an error message listed over there saying:

“Faulting application powerpnt.exe, version 11.0.8307.0, stamp 49ee80e3,
    faulting module powerpnt.exe, version 11.0.8307.0, stamp 49ee80e3, debug? 0,
    fault address 0x0018b7f0.”

Apart from this there was also a warning ID 63 stating:

“A provider, OffProv11, has been registered in the WMI namespace, Root\MSAPPS11, to use the LocalSystem account. This account is privileged and the provider may cause a security violation if it does not correctly impersonate user requests.”

I tried searching some help on web and found several articles saying that this can be fixed by simply installing Service Pack 3. But let me tell you that I already have SP3 installed on this computer. Another site suggested deleting any *.pcb files and renaming the *.ppa files to *.ppo. I tried that (actually appended an ".old" suffix), but the error remained. Also there is no virus problem because I performed a deep scan with Norton and it dint found anything suspicious.

Do you guys have any idea what could have been causing this problem? Many Thanks.

Re: Startup error with powerpoint.exe starts and crashes unexpectedly

Hello OmJaa,

Before i could provide you any troubleshooting i would like know two things. First, are you getting the same error message when you boot into Safe Mode as well? And second, do you have Office installation CD? If yes, try repairing the Office Suite? What is the result?

Boy, I've been having the exact same issues for a few months now. I've run out of things to try...it started with Excel, then Word, which somehow corrected themselves, but the PowerPoint issue remains EVERY time I startup.

I have finally found the solution to this problem, having tried all of the above and failed.

The problem is caused by Office Live Add-in 1.4.

Goto to Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs -> Office Live add-in 1.4 -> Remove