Thread: error code 80040154

error code 80040154

I am here trying to install a new edition of Windows Live Messenger. I am trying to install Live Messenger 9 here which does not looks to be working well. When I try to do the same I am getting a error on my screen. The error is associated with some msxml3 file. I am trying to run the same but still getting the same problem again and again. I am in need of some help here. How can I fix the issue. I am sure the issue does not lies with the setup it is proper. I had downloaded that 3 times.

RE: error code 80040154

There is a solution that can simply fix error you are facing. The error code is 80040154 which is basically caused due to MSXML library. It imay be corrupted and you have to reinstalled the same or else you will keep on getting the error constantly. For that the first step is to Re-register msxml3.dll. For that simply type the following in the box - Regsvr32 %windir%\system32\msxml3.dll. Just click on ok after that. You must get a message saying that DllRegisterServer
    succeeded in C:\Windows\System32\msxml3.dll is succeeded. Reboot your pc and install MSN back again.

Thanks for the same. I tried that. At a few time in the start it does not looked to be working fine, but it worked. There is no issue after running those command. I downloaded the fresh copy of msn back again from the web and ran the setup it worked. I thought the solution for the same will be more complicated. First I was wondering about the antivirus which I disabled. But that was not the right thing I was doing.

Did you install the ripped version(single msi file only) of Windows live messenger 2009? You need to install Windows Live Communications Platform either. I have the same problem as the OP, and I did install the ripped .msi file. Now I cant uninstall it so I can reinstall, and I don't know where to find Windows Live Communications Platform.

Guys, this link should fix your problem for error code 80040154. Download this cab file. The single msi file will not work definitely. Install WL Communications Platform from here. During installation options, choose to install MESSENGER and MAIL options.

...forget all that "microsoft solutions"....nothin' is wrong with the dll or msi files
    just change your password

i got the same shit problem. here is solution for it,it made me crazy,but i finally did it.
    http://download.live.com/messenger
    go this page,d.load the WLmessenger,then install the Window Live mail,bec ur WLmessenger is already installed,once u install, the WL mail, u can sign in to ur WL messenger then,bec it is connected to ur WL mail.
    keep happy.

Re: error code 80040154

Here is a solution to fix error 80040154 that may work for you. Please let me know if this was helpful.

Cause: MSXML library may be corrupted and may have to be reinstalled

Step 1. Re-register msxml3.dll

- Click on the Start menu, select Run and type the following:
    Regsvr32 %windir%\system32\msxml3.dll

Hopefully, you will see a window popup that says: DllRegisterServer succeeded in C:\Windows\System32\msxml3.dll is succeeded.

Step 2. Restart your computer and sign into Messenger again

I am a tech, and a clients, clone, PC, desktop, dual core, Intel, XP Sp3, am having the same problem as described in this thread, I've uninstalled and registry cleaned, reinstalled, installs fine, but when trying to login, the animation starts on the 2 icons swirling then they stop and nothing, they don't freeze mid action or anything, they just go back to start position. I had her change her password on the web version as suggested here, no change. I reregistred the msxml3.dll version, no change, uninstalled all msxml's versions and reinstalled, after a registry clean & reboot, same result, still getting same error code, tried loggin in as myself on her machine, same result, nothing, tried logging in on MY machine here, I can login no problem. I checked the windows firewall settings, no blocked. We tried installing all the options and as well as only messenger, no change, same end result. We are using CA Antivirus, nothing in the settings that would block instant messaging, and I am using the exact same version of CA Antivirus on my machine, and it works just fine..tried to download the neutral cab listed in this thread, and the link is no longer valid..we've also tried deleting her contacts folder as suggested by someone, no change, same result, the customer is getting impatient, any ideas? ANYONE? PLEASE!

Hi rferster,
    Did you make sure that you look in the registry of a PC on which your app works. Don't do a search, just look through the keys in HKCR\CLSID for the GUID, they are sorted alphabetically. The fact that you can't find a DLL that can be registered with regsvr32 is a strange problem. If might live in another folder, c:\windows\system32 perhaps. Look at the properties of the WinTSRRapiLib reference in your project. Also, the component may itself use another ActiveX component that requires registration. Like the VB6 runtime files for example. Another way to debug this problem is to use the RegMon utility, available for free at www.sysinternals.com. It shows you how your app uses the registry. Run it on yours and run it on the customer's and compare the two.

thanks for the quick information, I will try the easiest first and install the VB6 files on her computer and advise.

Even though I am a technician, some of what you told me is beyond me, I can admit it. I don't really delve into the registry side of things...but can.

Could I export that portion of the registry that works on my system and import to hers?

Then regmon will be the last to try. Your thoughts and instructions are welcomed. Thank you.

Rob

the VB6 installer fails to install on both our machines, no major warning, kinda looks like the finish screen and says VB6 did not complete sucessfully, I have a screenshot..

so tried logging into Window Live again, same error code, see attachment, trying registry tatic you mentioned next.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails vb6-jpg   login-error-jpg  

okay, I manually viewed the registry and couldn't really find what you were stating, sorry am a black & white kinda guy, you have to be very specific, and I follow orders very well then...so now having said that, I edited her registry by searching for "windows live", deleted all occurances that I found, closed the registry and reopened and repeated, closed, rebooted, did a registry clean and then a registry defrag, rebooted, then I searched the net and found an offline installer, version 8.1, windows live, downloaded it, and crossed our fingers...and it worked! I know it will force her to perform the upgrade, but at least the fundamentals are now installed and or working correctly again. so any forced upgrade should be fine...at least she can get setup and caught up with all her messages etc...

so case closed, thus far, if she emails that the upgrade screwed things up again, I will be back to THIS posting to update.

Thanks to all involved and who took the time to respond, I appreciate it.

Cheers,

Rob

I had forgot to mention previously I tried the reregistering of the MSXML3 file and it suceeded, but did nothing for my situation.

I received word the client has performed the forced update and it went well and is working well.

So bottom line, for me, was registry editing by searching for search terms, windows live and deleting all occurances referenced in the registry, then reboot, the perform a registry clean and defrag, installed lower version of Live messenger, in our clase, 8.1, install was sucessful, subsequently update was successful as well.