Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

chkdsk cannot find autochk.exe in recovery console

Windows XP Support

Old 14-01-2009

chkdsk cannot find autochk.exe in recovery console

I am using a Windows XP computer which is not starting anymore? I know that the parition is alright, even my root directory and with one exception all directories what I tried. The one exception is the \windows\system32 directory. Since I dont have the XP CD anymore I have downloaded Setup Disks for Floppy Boot Install but it didnt work for me. The chkdsk fails to start and asks for an autochk.exe Can anyone give me some other solutions? Thanks.

Old 14-01-2009

Incase you can get a Windows XP CD then you can try to boot up with it and log into the repair/recovery console. After that at the disk prompt you can run the below commands:

chkdsk /f
fixboot
fixmbr

After that exit, remove CD and try to boot normally again. But because it seems you are eluding to the infamouse error message pertaining to a corrupted registry hive.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: ,