Thread: No unblock option

No unblock option

I just received a new computer. I have a zip file that I have created from my old computer. Ofcourse, I am not able to use it, because Microsoft has taken away the ability to override their security system and there is no unblock option. So, now I have a software which is not userful for me at all. I have seen a click on unblock but I have no unblock option, so if anyone knows how this can be solved, then please tell me. Thanks.

Re: No unblock option

The zip files are working properly on my Windows XP. So, can you please elaborate what do you mean to say and specify your problems in details.

If I am trying to open a zip file that I have created on my own, then I get a message from microsoft security telling me that I cannot have access to my own file. After that it tells me that if I insist on accessing this file, then I have to go to file properties, right click and then select the unblock option, but this feature is not there.

I am having the same problem trying to unzip a file containing a driver which I need to set up my sound for my new hard drive and new XP 2 that I just uploaded. I did try sending it to myself using the yousendit facility but got the same problem and still with no Unblock option available to me. I even opened the Virus Property tab (that's part of the panel that should provide me the Unblock option) and received a clean reading on my file but still Microsoft blocks the unzipping of the file.

Does anyone have any other ideas, I do need sound on my computer plus I have some other zipped files I will be bringing in and don't want to give up but I'm lost.

Thanks for any consideration.

You can try to move the file to a Fat32 partition, and then move it back to the original location. It will then reset the zone information, NTFS streams, for that file. Incase the file is availble for download, then you can use a third party browser or download manager to download the file. You can use Winzip or any other software to handle zip file to open or extract the files in the archive.

Fix for zip files you are creating

If you zip files without saving the folders list Windows XP will allow access to the zipped files. If the zip file is trying to create folders, it will not allow access if the zipped file was obtained from the internet.

Also, don't know if the copy to FAT32 will work or not, but I do intend to try it.

Hope this helps.

Ran into the same problem. It must have been something new from one of the updates. Found the unblock button, but even after I unblocked the zip file, windows explorer wouldn't allow me to see or extract the file within the zip folder.
    Followed the suggestion from Sharon to use WinZip and I was able to unzip the file.