Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download

Windows XP Support

Old 23-12-2008

C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download

Do anyone know what is the use of ?SoftwareDistribution? folder? On my Windows XP system, this folder which is located at C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download is increasing day by day in size and till today it is of 3GB. I wanted to know what is the use of this folder? Is it safe to delete the same or contents inside it?

Also is there any way to clean this folder automatically? Thanks for all your helps.

Old 23-12-2008

Re: C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download

That folder contains details about your Updates, however it is safe to delete the entire folder content. But before doing the same it is recommended to backup your complete system before deleting any of the data. Also you may face some error while deleting the contents because those are installed on your system hence you would need to Uninstall any of your updates.
Old 24-12-2008

Re: C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download

No problem. You don't even need to back it up, it's a temporary folder to hold Microsoft Updates setup files.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support