Thread: "Power Options" in control panel doesn't work

"Power Options" in control panel doesn't work

I am getting an exception errror relating to a powercfg.cpl problem on a WindowsXP Pro SP3 system. (Sony VAIO laptop). I can run other .cpl files but I get an error message about powercfg.cpl when I try running "power Options" in the control panel or running the .cpl file from Start|RUN. I have backed up the 3 powercfg related files in system32 and replaced them with files from my XP Pro SP3 desktop system but it still works the same.

The exact error message is <An exception occurred while trying to run "shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL "C:\WINDOWS\system32\powercfg.cpl",">

I really don't want to reload the system for this small error...but I don't just want to live with it either.

Someone please help. I am a Windows/Linux Sysadmin.

Re: "Power Options" in control panel doesn't work

I'm having this exact same problem on a Thinkpad T61P with Windows XP Pro SP2. Help would definitely be appreciated!

I have seen the same problem reported on other forums but nobody seems to know how to fix it beyond reinstalling the OS. I think it may happen when laptop manufacturer power control software is already installed and then removed by the user. I think it is leaving the "Power Options" icon pointed to something that has now been uninstalled. I used CCleaner to scan the registry and fix any problems but that didn't fix this error. SOMEBODY PLEASE ANSWER THIS !!

The issue seems to be caused by Ccleaner I think.

Microsoft Tech Team suggested to try
    Go to start => run and type 'powercfg /RestoreDefaultPolicies' . I haven't tried it yet.

Have you tried uninstalling CCleaner? Just try to do it and then see if it works or not.

CCleaner was only installed and ran in an attempt to fix any registry errors that might have been interfering with the "Power Options" button. I have seen other people in other forums withe the same error. The Microsoft Tech team told me to run the command posted above. I have not heard back from my user as to whether this fixed the problem or not. I will keep you posted.

BTW: I have installed and ran CCleaner on many systems and haven't ever had a problem except with one user claiming "multiview 2000" didn't work right after running ccleaner. I did alot of other cleanup work he did not mention or know about but since ccleaner was new he just blamed it. I haven't heard back from him again so I assume he found the actual problem and fixed it.

I just heard back from my vaio user. The command brought up a 3 part menu. She tried option 1 and then rebooted the system. It DID NOT fix the problem. Option 2 would require exporting settings from another computer and importing them to hers....this was not possible since it was not here at the office when she tried it. Option 3 says something about "Reload in place" and so it wasn't ran since she didn't know what it was. I will post this info to the other forum where the original help came from and see what they say.

Tried option2 and it didn't work either since it was just an import/export of a power profile. We are now trying the suggested "sfc /scannow" command to verify the dllcache files and replace the corrupted ones.

To resolve this issue, restore the registry entries that are related to the power scheme options. To do this, use one of the following methods given in the link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913622