Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Folder options missing

Windows XP Support

Old 05-12-2008

Folder options missing

I am running Windows XP SP2 and lost the option to View Filetypes. There were many ways to access it, like for example, double click My computer and under tools there was a 4th option, but now there are 3 options which are Disconnect network drive, Synchronise and Map Network Drive. I was also using Windows Explorer and tools to get to it. Can anyone please help me out? Thanks.

Old 05-12-2008

I cannot say for sure how did this happen but you can still be able to access the menu via control panel. After that open Control Panel and then click on Folder Options. Now, try to select the View tab and under Advanced Settings, uncheck the box marked "Hide extensions for known file types". Hope this helps.
Old 06-12-2008

Re: Folder options missing

Thanks for the reply, I was hoping for sure that it might be done through the Control Panel, except I dont have a 'Folder Options' icon there as well.
Old 07-12-2008

I have solved this issue now, I actually had a remote Trojan although the computer had Trend Micro Antivirus fully updated. After downloading the Trojan Remover 6.7.4 with database 7221 it properly identifies the Windows Registry keys and with a single scan the issue is removed once and for all. Thanks.
Old 14-04-2009

Re: Folder options missing

Did you restart your computer after running that fix? Is Folder Options actually listed in the Tools menu in Windows Explorer? Is it listed in your Control Panel?

You could download the free tool called Remove Restrictions Tool (RRT) by searching on google.

Make sure you boot in to Safe Mode to use Remove Restrictions Tool (RRT).

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: , , ,