Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

"Acquiring Network Address"

Windows XP Support

Old 04-12-2008

"Acquiring Network Address"

After Windows XP SP2 comes out of standby, or the cable modem is shutdown, then I am getting a message on the tray after turning everything back on that it is 'acquiring network address.' The internet is running fine, so why am I getting this message? Can anyone please help me out? Thanks for any information.

Old 04-12-2008

Re: "Acquiring Network Address"

At the time your computer is in Standby, or when your cable modem is shutdown, then your ISP will eventually take back your IP address, so when you come out of Standby or your cable modem regains connectivity, you need to get a new IP address from your ISP. That's what 'acquiring network address' means and its how ISPs manage their IP addresses.
Old 04-12-2008

Can you try to set the network connections 'not to notify you' and you set the customization options on the taskbar to 'always hide' one would expect not to see the icon. How can you say this is not a Windows issue if these settings don't work for local area connection, which always defaults to 'hide when inactive'?
Old 06-12-2008

Re: "Acquiring Network Address"

This issue occurs if the Tooltip is enabled and checked. So to solve this issue follow the below trick:

You have to open Windows Explorer click Tools > Folder Options > View. After that scroll down to this option:
[ ] Show pop-up description for folder and desktop items.
Click [OK]
Now click on Start and then Run and then type Regedit:
Go to the below Registry Key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced
Data Type: REG_DWORD [Dword Value] // Value Name: ShowInfoTip
Modify/Create the Value Name [ShowInfoTip] according to the Value Data listed below.
Value Data: [0 - ShowInfoTip Disabled / 1 - ShowInfoTip Enabled]
Exit Registry and Reboot
Old 25-12-2008

Actually, I have found out that there are window settings that will stop the 'acquiring network address' icon from appearing on the tray and actually acquire that address, as well and show the network card as connected and firewall. After fumbling around for a while I got that setting right. I believe it was through the services that I enabled mentioned in an earlier post. Also, try going into the Wins setting in the advanced tab in Internet Protocols and uncheck the default for Net Bios and then check 'enable.'

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: ,