Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

MISSING AUTOCHK.EXE skipping AUTOCHECK

Windows XP Support

Old 30-11-2008

MISSING AUTOCHK.EXE skipping AUTOCHECK

Recently I installed Jv16 Power Tool on my other Dell Computer which is running on Windows XP. I was trying to clean up the Startup and I accidentally disabled the autochk.exe file. I dont have any installation disks. I tried to login to Safe Mode but it didnt work. I am force to come back on the Log on screen and then a blue screen with appear with \systemroot\windows\system32\autochk.exe Skipping Autocheck. Can anyone tell me how to reinstall this file? Thanks.

Old 30-11-2008

Re: MISSING AUTOCHK.EXE skipping AUTOCHECK

Have you tried to boot to the last known good configuration? Incase you cannot boot to it, then you will have to edit the BootExecute value at the Default ControlSet, it will be numbered like below:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003

The Default ControlSet is identified at the Select key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Select

The Select key typically contains values and data as shown here:
"Current"=dword:00000001
"Default"=dword:00000001
"Failed"=dword:00000000
"LastKnownGood"=dword:00000002

In the above example, the Default value identifies ControlSet001 as the Default Set, you would need the BootExecute value at:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Session Manager

The BootExecute value is a REG_MULTI_SZ string and it should only contain the following data: autocheck autochk *

If you want to edit the registry of the broken Windows installation you will have to mount the drive in another Windows XP computer and use Regedit to load the System hive of the broken installation.
Old 01-12-2008

Re: MISSING AUTOCHK.EXE skipping AUTOCHECK

Thanks for the respone, I have tried booting to the last known good configuration but it didnt work. I will try the method that you have given me and hope that it works for me.
Old 31-12-2008

Even I am facing the same issue like above but I want to know how to get to the registry to edit the BootExecure value. My system is not able to get past the user window.
Old 31-12-2008

Did you try to boot to any of the safe mode options available in your pc? Check the below microsoft article that will help you out:

A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222/en-us
Old 29-10-2009

I have just became a member to express my thanks for the contribution here, it saved me a lot of searching for a cure for the same problem.

I was lucky enough to have access to the computer, it just kept coming up with the error on bootup.

I found the reg string completely missing from the registry, so with your info I replaced it.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: , ,