Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

XP OEM to XP Home SP3

Windows XP Support

Old 30-11-2008

XP OEM to XP Home SP3

I am running Windows XP OEM installation wih SP2 that was having some issues with updating to SP3. I have tried every solution but still it gives me the "unable to write message". I am also carrying an unused Windows XP edition that I have slipstreamed SP3 into and burned as a bootable ISO. Will I be able to use this copy to repair the OEM version but use the OEM serial number? Or will I have to use the Home serial number and if that is the case then can I install the OEM version onto another computer? Thanks.

Old 30-11-2008

Re: XP OEM to XP Home SP3

Actually, you can make a retail/msdn/oem windows xp into another type if you change a single file and burn a new copy with that changed file. The OEM OS is permanently tied up to the original computer it was installed and activated upon.
Old 30-11-2008

Untill the time you plan on using the Recovery Console only, then no you wont be able to mix and match atleast with the particular slipstreamed disk you described. There are steps to create another CD from that one, but we want to address the problem that you cannot seem to use the proper disk that you already have.
Old 01-12-2008

Try to configure Windows XP to start in a "clean boot" state by following the below steps:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353
Old 02-12-2008

So, I have downloaded the SP3 iso file and burned it to a CD and my computer was not able to boot from it even though it was set to boot from CD first and guess it was not really a bootable ISO. So i turned off all Antivirus, Firewall, etc, programs and also items relating to Acronis and then started the installation from the SP3 ISO on the CD and it worked without any issues. Thanks for all the help.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: , ,