Thread: %fystemRoot% Need to get this fix

%fystemRoot% Need to get this fix

There are few places in the Registry I have checked and I know it is right as well. But I dont know how to change it to its right name %SystemRoot%. I am finding this in the bit and windows update. If I am trying to edit the Image path then it tells me that I cannot. So, can anyone tell me where I can learn to edit it and to make it right. I am running Windows XP with SP3 on my pc.

It seems to me that your computer is infected with malware. Did you try to check usig scans with good anti-malware recently? If not, then you can download and then install and then update the fre version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software from its official website and scan your pc with it.

Re: %fystemRoot% Need to get this fix

I dont actually get what is your problem exactly. You say that %SystemRoot% - the terms "%" function as a placeholder referring to whatever file or folder is functioning as System Root, default for a Windows Installation is C:\Windows.

Just experienced this same problem...My customer got hit with all kinds of viruses, malware, spyware..to the point where only the wallpaper loaded...I ran a repair install of XP and it brought everything back to normal (but only on the surface). I couldn't run any updates... serveral days of research and recommended fixes produced nothing...I ran symantec and Malwarebytes more than several times...It seamed clean but then I couldn't run Windows Updates or get symantec to update... then symantec wouldn't reinstall...I thought all was lost...then someone suggested running RootRepeal and then SuperAntSpyware. 'Bingo'... SuperAntiSpyware cleaned out a bunch of stuff and allowed me to reset the Admins permissions in the registry and then Modify the %systemRoot% values...I ran a complete registry search for any other %fystemroot% values and changed them...and all held fast....I was then able to restart the BITS and Auto updates...Systems are now running normal and updates are now loading.

Thanks to those people who have contributed to this solution in regard to fixing Windows Automatic Updates. You can go through all the MS solutions you want but you will not find this.

It is as stated, caused by malware that renames registry entries. After cleaning out the malware with the various available methods: SpyBot S&D, MalwareBytes, Superantispyware and as many others as you can. Even pay for Prevx because they all find other ones if you've been hit bad (or bought a machine from some idiot who knows not what they do) and don't forget to donate where possible:

Start > Run > regedit (open registry editor)
    Then: Edit > Find > fystem

Find: ImagePath entries
    Click/select then go to Edit > Permissions > check Full Control

Then right-click ImagePath > Modify
    Change the f to S

F3 on keyboard to go through all entries and edit permissions then the entry.

Next: Run > services.msc

Find: Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS), double-click and change start-up type to manual the click Start. Change start-up type back to automatic.

Still in services: Find Automatic Updates and start as above if not started.

Go to the updates site and start again. All should be well. If not you'll be a lot closer to fixing it.