Thread: How to Repair Dell Laptop Keyboard Keys

How to Repair Dell Laptop Keyboard Keys

Dell makes a large number of laptop computers, and one of the main problems with these computers is that the keys can become stuck or damaged. There are several different ways you can repair a damaged laptop keyboard as long as you know what the problem is. After trying a few different things, you’ll find that your Dell keyboard will be working as well as it did when you first bought your laptop.

Step1: Buy a can of compressed air and spray it on the keyboard if your keys are sticking together. This is the easiest thing you can do to fix the keys on your keyboard. It doesn't work for all problems, but it’s a good place to start. Make sure you get the air down inside the keys to clean out any debris, hair or food that may have gotten caught in there.

Step2 : Replace the inside of the keyboard with a new piece. One of the major problems with Dell keyboards is that the plastic pieces holding the keys in place become loose or broken. You can find a cheap keyboard from Wal-Mart or an electronics store. Simply take apart the new keyboard, pull the keys off your keyboard, lay the plastic piece on top and replace your keys.

Step3: Use a small dab of super glue to replace keys that have fallen off. Dell laptops often have keys that fall off, especially as the computer ages or is used quite frequently. Place a small dab of glue directly on the round part that holds the key in place and lightly press the key down. When the glue dries, you’ll be able to use your laptop again.

Re: How to Repair Dell Laptop Keyboard Keys

Thanks for those steps by the way. But is a bit complicated to some extent. My keyboard has stopped working suddenly but luckily my system was under warranty. So I got the laptop keyboard replaced. Also buying the same from web is not so costly. It is recommended to open and configure the same only if you are having knowledge about opening and fixing the system. Or else you can damage other stuff also.

It is better to go with usb keyboard and mouse instead of fiddling with those settings. Some of keys have stopped working and I tried those steps but the same did not worked properly. That is why I a using a usb mouse keyboard. It is much more comfortable compare to the regular one. I always use a additional keyboard on my system which is more easy.

Re: How to Repair Dell Laptop Keyboard Keys

The keys on your keyboard are sticking or your keyboard is stuck for a couple of years old and a few of the keys stick when you are typing? Sticking laptop keys are a common problem because of contamination build-up like dust and hair, spilled drinks, and the wearing out of factory lubrication. Laptop keyboards will not wear out if you clean and lubricate them properly. Then there is no need to spend the money on an expensive replacement keyboard with following methods to restore your laptop keyboards to the snappy and smooth performance.
    Last edited by Maqbool; 27-10-2010 at 02:00 PM. Reason: External Links Not Allowed, Removed The Same.