Thread: Windows XP logon/logoff loop

Windows XP logon/logoff loop

I don’t know what happened to my computer, it is not allowing me to login in anymore. It is Windows XP Home edition. Whenever I reach the logon screen and enter my or any other account, I use to get a pop up screen having just Yes and No button, nothing else. No pop up title or any error message. And no matter I click Yes or No button, it logs me out directly.

As the problem is unknown for me I tried login in to Safe Mode and did a system restore but that dint helped. Also there is another problem that I can only choose two options from the Boot Menu option, and that is safe mode and safe mode with command prompt. No other options are working.

Now I have no idea what else to do. Can anyone help me out please? Many Thanks.

Re: Windows XP logon/logoff loop

Well the problem is surely with any of the startup programs because as you said you dont have any problem for login in to Safe Mode that means that the problem is not related to incorrect Userinit settings.

In order to fix the same better try to get a copy of Autoruns from sysinternals.com, run the same and disable all startup applications and isolate. Remember that most recent version of Autoruns supports editing the startup of another user profile.

This may help.

Thank you very much scott but that dint helped. I downloaded Autorun and disabled the entire Startup list but that stupid pop appears yet.

Any other solution please? Many Thanks.

OK.. seems like i found the cause of the problem. As nothing is working as a fix, while troubleshooting i went to Event Viewer and checked the logs where i found that the grace period for activation has expired. Now i remember that since past couple of weeks i was getting a pop to activate the copy of windows but i ignored it and that turns into this.

Still i would like to confirm that is this the normal behavior on an expired windows xp system? What if i buy a new Full copy of Windows XP and install? Will all my Data will remain as it is now?

Hello Galiher, Repair installation preserves the user data, but I would still advice you take a backup of your personal files. Repair install guide available here: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Try Safe mode if u cant Repire windows XP