Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Can't remove or modify programs from control panel Add/Remove Programs any more..

Windows XP Support

Old 14-11-2008

Can't remove or modify programs from control panel Add/Remove Programs any more..

I am trying remove Norton Utilities from my pc. But there is some problem with the removal. From control panel > Add/Remove when I try to remove the same I am getting a weird error on my screen. I am getting message on the screen saying that you cannot remove or modify the program. The error never appeared before. I can install or remove other application, but only for Norton Utilities I am getting this issue.

Old 14-11-2008

Re: Can't remove or modify programs from control panel Add/Remove Programs any more..

Looks like some kind of permission issue. It is essential that you must simply login to your admin account and then try back. Try to do the same in safe mode if it does not work in your existing account. I remove ample of things from safe mode only. There is hardly any errors. You can check in Start Menu also there might be some kind of uninstaller utility which can help you.
Old 14-11-2008

Re: Can't remove or modify programs from control panel Add/Remove Programs any more..

There are some third party software uninstaller available on the web that you can use. You can download them and try back. One of them is Revo Uninstaller. It is a nice tool to get rid of unwanted application from your system. If still Norton Utilities does not goes from your system install it back again. There are chances that due to some damage file you are getting the issue. And then run the un-installation back again.
Old 15-11-2008

Did you tried system restore. I think that is another good way of dealing with the problem you are facing. Just try system restore. You will get a small calender in System Restore Utility. In that look for an old date before when you had installed Norton Utilities and then apply those settings. It will be wiped out. Sometime it is a bit annoying removing some application which has damaged installer.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: , ,