Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Speaker icon keeps disappearing in system tray

Windows XP Support

Old 12-11-2008

Speaker icon keeps disappearing in system tray

Recently the speaker icon disappeared from my system tray. I then uninstalled and reinstalled the icon in control Panel and it reappeared. But when I rebooted then it disappeared again. I have tried different solutions on the internet but still getting the same problem. I am running Windows XP SP2 and if anyone can help me, it would be appreciated.

Old 12-11-2008

Re: Speaker icon keeps disappearing in system tray

If you have the security software or your network administrator if you are at work, could be preventing the setting from sticking.
Old 12-11-2008

You can try to download the Windows XP Doesn't Save User Settings from this link - http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs...vesettings.reg. It is also possible your sound card drivers are missing or damaged. It will sometime cause the speaker volume to be not selected in "Sounds and Audi Devices".
Old 13-11-2008

I think that it has got itself set to "always hide"? Can you right click the ">" on the edge of the system tray and select "Customize Notifications". Or it could be also possible that it might be "Hide when inactive", although you would expect it to appear for a while when booting.
Old 13-11-2008

Thanks for the replies, I have tried every solutions but nothing seems to be working for me? Any other ideas do you have?

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: , ,