Thread: How to connect from localhost->router->Internet->router->localhost Port 3456?

How to connect from localhost->router->Internet->router->localhost Port 3456?

I am having a small network at my home. There is a router connected to the network which act as the default gateway for internet setup. Now here I am working with a test machine. I am trying to add a new machine to the lan. First I connect it directly to the server through lan cable and it works well. But when I tried to connect them through internet or lan it fails to work. It looks the pc is not able to access the folders of server. I a unable to understand what is the actual issue here. I tried everything but nothing worked.

Re: How to connect from localhost->router->Internet->router->localhost Port 3456?

I exactly have the same problem.
    I want to write a forum and server and client can be everywhere in the world.
    You PC can be a client for mine and my PC can be a client for your PC, that means there is a server onto yor PC.

I looked for many times, but did not get any informations.
    What to use ? WinSock, MSMQ, MAPI ?

If you have an answer, please give me some pieces... I am lost.

Thanks
    Grincheux

Re: How to connect from localhost->router->Internet->router->localhost Port 3456?

Quote Originally Posted by Grincheux View Post
    I exactly have the same problem.
    I want to write a forum and server and client can be everywhere in the world.
    You PC can be a client for mine and my PC can be a client for your PC, that means there is a server onto yor PC.

I looked for many times, but did not get any informations.
    What to use ? WinSock, MSMQ, MAPI ?

If you have an answer, please give me some pieces... I am lost.

Thanks
    Grincheux
    You can install a server on a computer., if you are using Windows 2003, install IIS, if on Linux, install Apache. Both are web servers. Then you hit the web server with your web browser. You would also need to run "dcpromo.exe" and set up active directory, with a domain. Don't forget about DNS and DHCP. This way you can set up client-server.

Thanks for the answer, but this is not what I need.

I am using assembly language and thought there was a solution using sockets.

On my local network, there is no problem but when connecting outside my house it fails !

Quote Originally Posted by Grincheux View Post
    Thanks for the answer, but this is not what I need.

I am using assembly language and thought there was a solution using sockets.

On my local network, there is no problem but when connecting outside my house it fails !
    Are the users you want to connect to all, using the same ISP ?
    Are their laptop/computer setup with DHCP (from the ISP) or fixed IP ?
    What is the DNS used in the laptops/computer ?
    Is this machine getting it's IP via DHCP or static? Double check your DNS servernames and verify you have a default route/gateway.