Thread: access denied on external usb drive

access denied on external usb drive

On my Windows XP pc I am facing a problem with using USB drive. I am not able to understand why it is not allowing me to copy files on it. When I try to move anything in the same I am getting a access denied error. I have to backup some files and folders. But I cannot do the same. I scanned the pen drive for virus also but nothing was found. There are some text files and videos on it. I cannot also format it without copying those files. Can anyone guide me here for the process.

Re: access denied on external usb drive

Looks like some kind of file permission problem. It is a common issue. I am giving you a article link that will offer you information on taking ownership of files inside the usb. Just follow the steps and then copy the files from the usb. Then you can format it. There are some few simple steps available which will guide you for the copy process. If the solution mentioned in the link does not work then you have to format it.

How to take ownership of a file or a folder in Windows XP

Re: access denied on external usb drive

There is a small tool available to fix the problem you are facing. It is called as Unlocker. You can download that from web. The tool offers you an simple way to take ownership of locked file. The tool is available for free and it is easy to use on those files which are locked. You just need to right click on the file and choose unlocker. That's all.You will be able to modify the files.

The issue mostly lies with file permission. It is quiet essential that you must try to copy those files. If you try to cut paste the files you will get error. But just copy them to some other place and format the pen drive. Sometime the issue also appear due to virus. So better keep your antivirus updated and scan this kind of removable drives before using. Formatting will restore the permission issue and you will be able to copy anything of your choice.