Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

USB port error-Compaq Laptop

Windows XP Support

Old 08-11-2008

USB port error-Compaq Laptop

I?m using a Compaq Presario V500A with Windows XP Home edition. Since last two weeks whenever I start the system I use to get an error message as soon as I reach desktop:

?0701:usb overcurrent on hc/port-bus:00hde:1dhfun:01h/port:00h?

After searching this error on Google and other sites I came to know that it is related to any damaged physical usb por. I opened my laptop and checked all ports, all seems to be fine. As per troubleshooting I even updated my BIOS by flashing but yet no help. I still get the same error message.

Anyone have any idea? Please help.

Old 08-11-2008

RE: USB port error-Compaq Laptop

What you got from web search is correct, it is related to the USB itself. Its not compulsory the problem should be with the USB hub itself but the connection to it or the basic hard-ware on the board itself.I dont think it is possible to recognize by you or me if we are not the professional in that field. Simply take to any local computer shop.
Old 09-11-2008

Re: USB port error-Compaq Laptop

Hello Ruthe, just try out these steps and see what happens. First of all unplug all USB devices. Shut down, unplug the AC adapter from the laptop, remove the battery. Now, press and hold the power switch for one minute. This is the "secret handshake" to clear the BIOS, and can force all these devices to be re-initialised. Put the battery back in, plug the AC back in, and
restart. Thats it. Let me know the results.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: ,