Thread: Autochk.exe not found - Skipping autocheck? Endless boot loop?

Autochk.exe not found - Skipping autocheck? Endless boot loop?

I am having Windows XP installed on my system. I am trying to install a new software. But as the setup run the entire operating system freezes a lot during the process. I am unable to find the reason behind it. Upon restart there is a error message on the screen. The message says some Autochk.exe not found - Skipping auto check. I do not really remember that I had installed any software or application which is named as Autochk.exe. How can fix the same.

Re: Autochk.exe not found - Skipping autocheck? Endless boot loop?

Looks like issue with some missing file in your system and the changes would be done due to the installation. It is necessary that you must check properly for any pending installations in your system. I am sure it will help you more in fixing the problem. There are some system tune up utilities that will help you to simply scan your system and locate pending installations. Through which you can get rid of the issue. Check the startup also through msconfig and see what you find.

There can be some issue with registry I think. You said to check the startup. I verified and there was nothing found. I on Google I saw that due to invalid or missing entries in windows registry cause the problem. Registry cleaner here does not help much. I found autochk.exe in system 32 folder. But somehow unable to find out how can I fix the working of the same. I am constantly getting the same kind of error again and again.

Insert windows installation cd in your system. Then go in Start > Run and type cmd in it. Then run sfc /scannow and hit enter. This is a bit long process but it is very helpful in fixing a number of system file issue your system. It scans for system files and replace the same. You have to leave your system just like this for hours and then wait back. I am sure it will be working well once the scan is completely over.

Does the autochk.exe have to be from another windows xp home computer? Because my friend has office. Would that work? I was also wondering what do I do if it wont let me replace the autochk file and says access denied? If it doesnt work after I replace it I will make one of those disks and check the registry. Thank you for the help and information and sorry for all the questions.

That did not helped much. It took hours to completely clean my system but at the end I am unable to find a solution for the same. The system looks proper to me. But this error on the screen is just annoying. It does not goes back. It keeps on appearing again and again each time when I start my computer. I cannot format the system. Because there is ample of data in it. And it will take long time to move.

I am going to replace the autochk file tomorrow. I will burn one of those PE disks as well probably. One thing I did notice though was that, when I messed up my computer and it was still running (before I rebooted), I tried to edit the registry with regedit but after navigating all the way to the file, I couldnt find it. Is it possible that the registry file is missing?

You have to modify the BootExecute value of autocheck from windows registry. The location where the entry is located lies under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager. At the end search for bootexecute value and there you can simply configure the same as per your need. Registry cleaner will not help much here. But giving a manual option will be much more helpful to some extent.

I think I know what to do. I read something about editing the registry to allow writing to directories that you normally cant. Like this. So if I make one of those PE disks I can fix the registry and replace the file. The only thing is I dont know what the registry looks like in the editor or what it should look like. Edit:Didnt see your post. Doing DIR does show a file listing and it is not there. I will try what you said.
    Last edited by Backwardsman97; 13-11-2008 at 02:53 AM.

There is a option through which you can fix the problem. First you can run chkdsk /r from cmd and then see the issue with your hard drive. If this test is proper then you can simply run a repair installation of Windows XP. Repair installation does not delete anything from your system. It just fixes a number of issues. It is one of the best way to fix Windows without formatting it. For that you have to enter in recovery console and from there you can perform the repair procedure.

Ive been able to access all folders fine including the system32 folder. I can copy from the folder but I cant copy to it without that error. I did chkdsk and it said it was ok. I also tried chkdsk /r but it prompted for autochk.exe which I don't have in there. There is only one account on my computer with no password.

I had this same problem what happened was My partition got hidden while i was doing some experiment witn GNU GRUB anyways to fix it you need a partition program I just happened to have a HiRens boot disc btw this thing is a freekin life saver. I can't count the times this disc has saved my butt. Anyways to get the disc just do a search I'm sure you can find it then have a cd with you and burn the image to the disc and boot it up on your computer it will give you several options one is partition tools. Select Randish Partition Manager. it will show up with the first disk which will prolly be the one your windows is installed in check to make sure none of them are hidden you can also press F5 to cycle through any other hard drives if you have any more on your computer. If your main partition is hidden highlight it with the cursor press the insert key and select WINDOWS NT NTFS. or if you installed windows xp as a fat 32 then use that but most likely its an NTFS install. Press F2 to save. You can now reboot your computer and Windows should work I didn't have to fix any files after fixing the partition so it wasn't hidden anymore. This problem can also be caused by programs such as Partition magic. This also explains why you got access denied when you were trying to copy the files over to the directory but you were able to view them.