Thread: Java jre-6u10

Java jre-6u10

I am running Windows XP with SP3 with IE7 browser. I have just downloaded and installed Java jre-6u10-windows-i586-p-s.exe. The installation was properly done. When I was in add and remove program panel, there are 2 java items listed, that is Java(TM) 6 Update 10 (Size 96.89MB) and Java(TM) 6 Update 7 (size 114.00MB). Will it be fine to remove the Java(TM) 6 Update 7 from the Add and Remove Progra, panel? Also, in the C:\Program Files\Java there are two (2) folders listed viz: jre 1.6.0_07 and jre6. Is it fine to delete the jre 1.6.0_07 ? Also there are many addons that have been used in IE7, so can I remove all of those? Thanks.

Re: Java jre-6u10

What you can do is uninstall the older java and then restart the computer. After that delete the older Java's folder if it still remains. If the add-ons (or anything else) referring to the older Java are still there after the uninstallation, you should remove them.

Thanks for the reply, I tried to remove the old java installation in Add or Remove Programs window which deleted the old folder as well. Since you haven't mentioned anything about the multiple entries in IE7 (Manage Add-ons), I assume that this is okay. Also can anyone tell me why 'Add or Remove Programs' is listed twice in my 'Control Panel' ?

Actually, the applet for Add and Remove programs is appwiz.cpl. So it can be found in the system path \Windows\System32. You will have to do a full system search, for Hidden, System, for appwiz.cpl. It might be possible that your computer has a 2nd instance of the applet in another location?

It could be possible that the sloppy mouse work at one point caused an accidental drag and drop of the Add/Remove icon that caused a copy process, and now you have two. Did you try to delete one of them?

As per some news, it was said that the earlier version will not be removed. Its good to see that Sun has finally heeded the calls from its user base, but since we don't have an Update 11 yet, it's hard to tell how well this patch in place process will work. What's more, while Update 10 promises to remove itself whenever Sun ships the next post-Update 10 release, it doesn't remove any pre-Update 10 versions hanging around the user's system.