Thread: Install 1394 Net Adapter Drivers

Install 1394 Net Adapter Drivers

Could somebody please tell me how to reinstall the drivers for the "1394 Net Adapter", which has disappeared from my Device Manager?

I am running Windows XP Home with all the latest updates. My firewire port comes off the motherboard, not a separate card. My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9. I cannot find "1394 Net Adapter" drivers on their site under either "Firewire" or "1394...". Likewise, there are no firewire drivers on the CDROM that came with the motherboard. I have tried simply going through the "Add New Hardware" wizard, but it doesn't give me the option of installing a "1394 Net Adapter". Various sites that I've searched regarding this matter say that the drivers are included with XP, but if that's the case, how do I access them to reinstall my firewire port?

DL Guest
    Do you have the Nvidea and Marvel connections shown in Device Manager?
    Likewise in Network Connections
    Do you have a firewire device that you have plugged in?

If it is off the motherboard, check the BIOS so as to see if this port
    is enabled.

SC Tom Guest

Re: Install 1394 Net Adapter Drivers

Check in BIOS that it's not disabled first.
    Try installing this driver again and see if that takes care of the problem.
    It's the all-inclusive chipset/LAN/SATA raid. If it's like the Asus drivers,
    you should have choices before they are blindly installed. Go with the
    chipset and LAN drivers.:

http://america.gigabyte.com.tw/FileL...ck804_2kxp.exe

Yes, I tried connecting my camcorder, and the computer did not react in any way. My recording software could not find the camcorder. That's what prompted me to look in device manager in the first place.

Nvidia nForce 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet is present in device manager, under "Network Connections". I don't recall ever seeing anything called "Marvel" in my device manager, even when my firewire port was working.

There were no "chipset" OR "lan" drivers in the list. There were only "NVIDIA SMBus Driver", "NVIDIA Ethernet Driver" (my ethernet port works fine, so I'd rather not go monkeying around with it's drivers just to get my firewire port back up and running) and "NVIDIA Storage Driver".

Okay, against my better judgement, I installed everything at

except the ""NVIDIA Storage Driver". The word "storage" makes me think that it is a hard disk driver, and if I lock myself out of my hard drive with a bad driver, I won't even be able to use system restore to fix everything... just not worth the risk.

Anyhoo, thankfully this didn't cause any problems with my internet port, but unfortunately, it didn't solve my problem, either.

I have also checked the bios menu, but there is no option there for shutting down/turning on the firewire port.

Does anyone know if there's a way of installing hardware on a computer, even if XP is certain it isn't there? I have firewire port driver files from my laptop with a firewire port. I don't care if they're not the same manufacturer, at least if I can get my device manager to display some sign of a firewire port, even one with errors, it gives me something to do an "Update Drivers" on.

I need my firewire port!

I've checked everything on the motherboard, and it's all secure.

In researching this problem I came across another forum thread discussing a similar problem. In that thread, somebody suggested that Roxio can comandeer/knock out the firewire port. I found that interesting because a few months ago, I upgraded my 2005 eTrust Antivirus to 2009 CA Security Suite. Prior to this, my computer used to freeze up for about 5 minutes at startup. Now it starts up nice and quickly each time, but I get a message telling me that DirectCD (by Roxio) has been shut down due to a driver conflict. It gives me an URL where I can download a patch to fix this, but the URL looks like it hasn't been active for ages.

The really weird thing is that my computer has never had DirectCD, or any other Roxio product on it (to my knowledge). I have consulted dozens of websites trying to figure out where this Roxio software is. I have searched ALL the nooks and crannies of my hard drive where remnants of Roxio stuff can supposedly reside - there is no trace of it. So why am I getting this error message on every startup?

My guess is that it's some other driver conflict that XP is mistakenly blaming on DirectCD. Does anyone know of any way I can learn any more about the cause of these error messages? Is there some kind of system log I can consult?

I am now very interested in tracking down the cause of these errors, as the last time I used my firewire port was before these errors started popping up.

DL Guest

The Firewire drivers are supplied by MS default drivers
    On my K8N Ultra there is a firewire header on the mobo, has the connector
    come adrift?

SC Tom Guest

Look in the Event Viewer to see what the file name is that's causing your
    conflict. Go to Start...Run, type in eventvwr.exe and hit Enter. Any errors
    will have a red X by them.

DL Guest

You did pull the connector & re-seat?, have another to try?
    Another avenue might be to explore/show hidden devices in device manager,
    see if that shows anything related to Firewire
    At the end of the day its allways possible your mobo has developed a fault.
    Any feedback to a post to gigabyte tech?

I encountered the same issue about 1394 net adapter, SM Bus controller and LAN icon missing after reformatting pc. After tons of online research here is what I found.

1394 net adapter & SM Bus controller is built in with your mother board. I never had any toruble reformatting my pc and using the cd installer that came with it before until recently. In my opinion, it is more like a conspiracy. The cd installer should have everything you needed to reformat your pc. I bought my dell dimension 4550 brand new back in 2002 and I had to reformat it from time to time and it never failed... after reformatting, everything works great and feels like the same way like the first time I had the pc. All I have to do is download all the necessary updates.

But, voila! How come I do the exact same thing yesterday and all of a sudden after refomatting my pc I am missing the driver for 1394 net adapter? I cannot connect to the internet through the ethernet port eventhough it is showing that my 1394 net adapter is enabled and ready. My pc was working perfectly fine before refomatting it. I only did the reformatting to get my pc cleaned up and get that brand new feeling again.

I downloaded the drivers I needed from dell.com but unfortunately it didn't work. I checked with microsoft.com since 1394 net adapter is original manufactured by microsoft, but they no longer have the link for the driver. I searched and searched online but to no avail. Reformatted the pc the second time thinking maybe I was just missing something and was not able to install it right. None of these worked.

Last resort, I went ahead and bought a new pci network card at best buy for around $18 something plus tax. For whatever reason, I think the driver for the 1394 net adapter got corrupted or the built in ethernet connection got fried. For whatever reason it may be it seems like microsoft did it on purpose. What is the point of buying a new computer or paying computer technicians if its so easy to fix so your own computer and that all the drivers you need is readily available?

Its all about the microchip and all these crazee codes they put in your computer!!!

Anyway, atleast now my pc is fixed after all the stress and the head ache it gave me yesterday. Its working like a champ! Just finishing downloading and installing all necessary updates.

The motherboard in your pc should have an extra slot for you to install a new network card. You might even find it somewhere else cheaper than what I got it for. It is very easy to install and it is also plug & play. Should work automatically. No need for drivers...........

I hope this post helps people out there encountering the same exact problem I had.

p.s.
    I have upgraded my Dell Dimension 4550 over time....
    It now has:
    2 gig memory from 256mb
    400 watts power supply from 250 watts
    pny geforce 256mb video card
    though it is still running with 34 gig hard drive.... maybe I'll buy atleast a 250 gig hard drive later on.... LOL :)
    and now a new network card which makes my pc connect to the internet even faster.
    To me, looks like this pc still have more life to it til I am ready to purchase a new one since I don't need to do any online gaming so I don't need to get those hard core graphics thingy. I basically just use it for internet browsing, word processing, datas, uploading pictures and a little graphic design from time to time using adobe photoshop CS2. :-)