Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Windows Explorer opens new windows without consent

Windows XP Support

Old 18-10-2008

Windows Explorer opens new windows without consent

I was playing around with the Folder Options in the control panel to see if I could change all the icons associated with file folders. What I did was: open folder options, click on "file types" tab select "File folder" and change the icon. Once done that when I clicked on a folder, instead of being opened I got the search option. What I did then was go back to "file folder" and see what action was selected. Find was the selected one, so I created a new action which I called "Explore" and the application to run "explorer". When I click on Advanced button I see that it is not possible to check the box that says "Browse in same window" (image link provided at the end of post). So now every time I open a folder a new window is opened, which is VERY annoying.

NOTE: In the "General" tab, in "browse folders" I have selected "open each folder in the same window". I created another action called "browse" in hope to solve the issue.

Help, PLEASE.

Thank you.

Old 19-10-2008

Re: Windows Explorer opens new windows without consent

usually File Folder only use to have the "find" option on most of the systems. Anyways, i found a reg file by installing which you can add Google as Primary Search. You can download the same from here
Old 24-03-2011

Re: Windows Explorer opens new windows without consent

I found on another site the solution:
GO TO THIS REG KEY

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\directory\shell\

delete any OPEN keys, then go back in to file types and open the file
(not file folder) association settings make explore default then switch
back to open as default.. worked for me winxp mce .

Do the same for
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\folder\shell\

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: , , ,