Thread: Monitor Driver Update

Monitor Driver Update

Hi, i am using Windows XP Home with Service Pack 3. My monitor is using 2001 Plug & Play monitor driver which now i want to replace with the monitor manufacturer's 2003 driver. But i am not able to figure how exactly to do the same. Whenever i try to update, it gets failed.with an error message saying:

"Windows has already found the best driver for that hardware"

Can anyone please tell me how can i install the latest driver? Many thanks.

re: Monitor Driver Update

Hi Jim-
    Go to the website of the manufacturer of the display/video card (if they are still in business), or go to a 3rd party website such as cnet.com/downloads. Google around. Also check out Microsoft Updates: if you haven't moved over from the original Windows Updates (do it) go to microsoft.com/downloads and check around. Be sure to get the right one!
    The Device Manager's "Update Driver" always plays it safe (sometimes it's right). Have fun!

Re: Monitor Driver Update

Can you just tell why do you want to the replace the drivers? I mean, are you facing any issues with Windows Plug & Play driver? If not, then does the new 2003 driver offer any additional features or
    functionality? Again if no then what is the requirement to mess up the correctly working things? Anyways, its your system, you can do whatever you want. Here is what i can suggest you.

• First of all create a new System Restore point before starting the process so that if any thing goes wrong, you will be able to restore the system at this state.
    • Unless you have the driver on CD, save the driver file(s) to a temporary location on your hard drive.
    • No open Device Manger through Control Panel or by right click desktop My Computer icon > Manage > Device Manager.
    • Here right click on the active monitor and select "Update Driver".
    • Make sure you wont select to connect windows update.
    • Now on the next screen click on "Install from a list or specific location".
    • Then select the option "Don't search. I will choose the driver to install".
    • Then, select the type of hardware (which will probably be listed as a generic plug and play monitor) and click "Have Disk".
    • Now insert the CD and browse to the location where you have stored the drivers.
    • Now follow onscreen instructions.

I agree with you Janos. I mean surely there is no need for monitor drivers, unless you need/want to closely control color shading or other graphic features. Anyways, if you really want to install the newest driver then simply follow the monitor manufacturer's installation instructions or contact them for assistance with its product.

Hi maketu, let me tell you that Windows XP's driver installation utility uses an INF file. So if the driver you have downloaded is in ZIP or self extracting EXE file, first you will need to extract the content to a temporary location on your hard drive and then try to install the same.

Hope it helps.

Thanks friend but that dint helped either. There were two files in the downloaded provides two files including AF715.ICM and AF715.INF. Wherever I locate them so that the so-called Wizard can install them, I receive the same unhelpful response. Very Sad.