Thread: Can I use Live Messenger with a non-Hotmail address?

Can I use Live Messenger with a non-Hotmail address?

I mostly use Windows Live messenger for chatting. Now there seems to be some problem with my Windows Live ID. I don’t know what went wrong I am not able to login to any windows services with my Live ID. I am sure my username and password is corrected. It is written on a password manager file and I am using it since years. Anyways, that is another problem and I am working on it solve.

Meanwhile as I need to login to my Live Messenger I wanted to know whether I can use any non-hotmail user account live Yahoo Mail or my private ISP mail to login ? Will it work in Live Messenger? Thanks for all your helps.

Re: Can I use Live Messenger with a non-Hotmail address?

Nope, I don’t think you can use them with Live applications but you can give it a try. By the way if you have the problem with Live ID why don’t you just try to reset the password. You will come to know if the problem is with Username of Password.

Hello LolaA. Answer for your question Yes as well as No. Reason is because on my XP Laptop with Live Messenger 8, i am using my own personal domain email address and it is working fine. I am using this from a year now. But there are lots more people i have seen who say they are not able to login with any non-hotmail email address.

So the best solution is...just give a try. Login with any of your email ID you want and see if it accepts. The process will take lesser time then you are reading this post.

Yes you can use alternate email addresses to login Windows Live Messenger. For example, if you use yahoo IM then your live messenger users will see you online only if they have added you in their yahoo contact list. Unless you block them, or operating as "Invisable". The Yahoo Messenger does not have to be using MSN/Live Messenger to text chat with you.

You will only be able to text message and send files, you will not be able to use the Voice Chat feature, unless both are using MSN/Live Messenger.

If you use another address other than Yahoo, then you will need to start MSN/Live Messenger, to text message, share file, and voice with one another. You cannot use AOL/AIM Messenger will not work with MSN/Live Messenger, as Yahoo Messenger does.

It's noon time on Sunday, the account confirmation page is not working properly right now. But should work in the next few days. So when you sign onto MSN/Live Messenger, you may get a confirmation verication warning, it may take several attempts to get that to work.