Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Opening My Photos Folder takes a long time to open

Windows XP Support

Old 10-10-2008

Opening My Photos Folder takes a long time to open

I am running Windows XP on a Dell machine with enough Ram on it. When I tried to opne up my photos folder from my C drive, then it took a very long time to open. After I opened a selected folder within my photos, the folder opened, but if I chose to go back, then it took a very long time to perform that activity also. After restarting the computer it didnt help either. I have checked and have not found any spyware, malware, or any viruses. Can anyone please help? Thanks.

Old 10-10-2008

Re: Opening My Photos Folder takes a long time to open

How much RAM do you have exactly? By very long time, how much time do you mean it takes?
Old 11-10-2008

You are trying to open the picture folder with Windows Explorer as icon or preview mode, that might take a while. Also are you trying to open the folder with something that loads some sort of iconic preview representation on a panel because that could also take some time. If you had a fast graphics card that things would be opening quickly.
Old 17-10-2008

Follow the below steps and see if that helps you out:
  1. First of all open the folder.
  2. After that click on Tools > Folder Options > View and then select "show hidden files and folders". Save your settings.
  3. Now try to switch to detail view.
  4. After that you have to delete the "thumbs.db" file and then close the folder
  5. Now you can try to re-open the folder and switch back to "thumbnail" view.
If that doesn't help, he could try additional RAM. Windows XP runs much better with a minimum of 1 Gb RAM.
Old 19-10-2008

I am having 2gb of ram and not errors. A long time is more than a minute before it opens up. I have made a new folder called My Pictures 1 and copied all subfolder from C:\My Documents\My Pictures into the new folder and it is opening instantly without any issues.
Old 15-01-2009

I have found out that Canon's ZoomBrowser EX program makes the zbThumbnail.info files. I think that it is only being used on My Pictures, therefore it might not use another folder you created. Can you try to disable that and see if that works?

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: