Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Windows XP hangs during start up

Windows XP Support

Old 08-10-2008

Windows XP hangs during start up

I have recently disassembled my laptop and after that put it back together just for timepass. But after I put it back together, it now takes a long time to boot up. When the Windows XP screen is displayed then the screen goes black for more than 1-2 minutes. I dont know why this is occuring, so again even after reassembling it, still get the same problem. I think that it is happening due to a driver error because all the components were disconnected. I have also disabled the Usb ports with Device Manager but that did not help. Can anyone tell me what is the issue for this hang up? Thanks.

Old 08-10-2008

I think that you might have fried a component like ESD or what you did the reassembling then you might have not put the laptop at the right way. You can either try to do a System Restore to before the Demo or try to check the event viewer for error messages that can tell what is going wrong.
Old 09-10-2008

RE: Windows XP hangs during start up

Thanks for the reply. I will try to do the System Restore and check the event viewer to see if there are any errors.
Old 09-10-2008

Re: Windows XP hangs during start up

The unexpected hangs at the time of boot can be caused by attempting to re-establish the network connection. Have you tried to unplug the network connection. You can also try to use the "Net use" in a command prompt which will show you some information.
Old 09-10-2008

Thanks but I am not using any network connection on the laptop.
Old 09-10-2008

So after trying system restore it didnt work for me. I have tried multiple restore points and everytime I got an Incomplete message. After that I checked the Event Viewer and I noticed that whenever I start my computer, it comes with 20 identical errors about a bad block on the hard drive? So does this means that the hard drive is bad?
Old 10-10-2008

What ever you did so seems to have gotten wrong and it could be possible. Also, if you removed power while the disk was spinning then it is likely that the hears might have crashed on the disk surface, causing one or more bad blocks. Laptop drives needs to be fairly resistant to this sort of issues due to the nature of their use but there are limits.
Old 10-10-2008

You can first try to run the diagnostic tools from the laptop manufacturer to test the health of the hard drive and see if that is repairable or now. After that run the check disk option on startup to repair the bad sectors of the hard drive.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: , ,