Thread: HP printer wont connect with HP Computer using Windows XP

HP printer wont connect with HP Computer using Windows XP

I just got a new HP Computer with windows XP and i cannot get it to connect with my HP LaserJet 2420 PCL 6 printer on our USB network that is also connected computer with Windows XP. 4 other computers in the office have been connecting to this printer just fine.

I can see the printer on the network but when i try to connect or share the error message i get say: "The HP laserJet 2420 printer driver is not installed on this computer. Some printer properties will not be accessible unless you install the printer driver. Do you want to install the driver?"

I tried installing the printer driver with the CD it came with and this did not solve the problem. I also downloaded the drive updates from the HP website and this did not work also.

When i try to add a new printer and use creat a new local port option and time in \\computer name\printer name, when it is finished with the Add Printer Wizard and try to print a test page it says: "Unable to install printer. Some driver files are missing or incorrect. Reinstall the driver or try using the lastest version."

I have tried to fix this problem with HP tech support to no avail. Please help. thank you.

RE: HP printer wont connect with HP Computer using Windows XP

There could be several reasons causing this problem in your case. Hence i would like know few things before i can suggest you anything. First thing i would like to know is have you put all the computers in the same Workgroup name? If not, that could be creating the problem as well. Has the Network Wizard been run on the other computers(or do you still have the actual settings on Flash Drive, to include the new one.?

Re: HP printer wont connect with HP Computer using Windows XP

Hello AlizaW, you have mentioned "with my HP LaserJet 2420 PCL 6 printer on our USB network", what you meant by saying USB network??

Also can you tell me if the printer you are trying to install is directly connected to a USB "network" port or is it "shared" off another PC? Until you reply make sure that all firewall settings are configured properly and File/Printer sharing
    and HP printer "tools" are permitted thru the firewalls.