Thread: system shutting down in 60 seconds problem.

system shutting down in 60 seconds problem.

I’m facing some serious problem with my Windows XP desktop and need to be fixed soon. Its been happening from past 3 days. Depending on its mood, I use to suddenly get a pop message saying:

“The system is shutting down. Please save all work in progress and log off. This request was initiated by NT Authority\system. Message: Windows must restart because the RPC service terminated unexpectedly.”

After this message I see a 60 seconds count down and system restarts. Here is the error I found in my Event Viewer log:
    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: EventSystem
    Event Category: (50)
    Event ID: 4609
    Date: 9/26/2008
    Time: 11:06:44 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: USER
    Description:
    The COM+ Event System detected a bad return code during its internal processing. HRESULT was 80070005 from line 44 of d:\comxp_sp3\com\com1x\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp. Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services to report this error.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    Somebody please provide any working solution for the same. Help appreciated.

Re: system shutting down in 60 seconds problem.

It sounds weird. I think this is probably caused by any malware, Virus or Worm. You should immediately deep scan your system and clean it up. You can find the typical removal instructions for the same here: http://support.gateway.com/s/issues/2-976684501.shtml

RE: system shutting down in 60 seconds problem.

Hello Tirana. I dont think it is a Virus but can you tell me the result you got after scanning the system? To me it looks like screensaver and programmed in VB, but i am not sure about it. Anyways, just go through the following process and see what happens:
    First, try to clean up your caches, Internet files and delete cookies by doing this: Click Start > Control Panel > Double click Network and Internet Connections > Double click Internet Options. Under General Tab clear your History, Internet Files and Cookies. Also disable all add-ons. Now click on Advanced tab and scroll down to under the Browsing Option: Enable Third-Party browser extensions (Req Rest) uncheck this box.

Apart from this Run online scan from here and let me know the results. http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/d...d=ie&venid=sym