Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Trouble copying large files to NTFS formatted disk

Windows XP Support

Old 23-09-2008

Trouble copying large files to NTFS formatted disk

Despite the fact all disks on my Windows XP system (including a 500GB external drive) are formatted in NTFS, I can't seem to copy large files form one drive to another. (Error: full disk)
Does anyone happen to know what could be a possible cause for this error?

Many thanks!

Louis Dechenne.

Old 23-09-2008

Re: Trouble copying large files to NTFS formatted disk

I am not able to copy large files from one drive to another, even after having all the disks on my Windows XP computer. I am getting Error: full disk. Can anyone tell me how to solve this issue? Thanks.
Old 23-09-2008

Can you check in Disk Defragmenter report by opening it and clicking on the Analyze. After that select View Report and click on Save As and Save. Now find VolumeC.txt in your My Documents Folder and post a copy. Do this before running Disk Defragmenter as it is more informative. You can also try to select Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk CleanUp to
Empty your Recycle Bin and Remove Temporary Internet Files. Also select Start > All Programs > accessories > System Tools > Disk CleanUp > More Options > System Restore and remove all but the latest System Restore point and then run Disk Defragmenter.
Old 23-09-2008

Check the article on "Windows XP stops responding when you try to save a large offline file" to fix your issue from the below link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918338
Old 23-09-2008

I had a large file transfering problem; I've had Disk fragmenter analyse my disks and, guess what; my external drive appears to be FAT32 formatted...
However, the information in the "Format LaCie (I)" window says: "File system: NTFS". And as a matter of fact "NTFS" is the only value in the dropdown menu for "File system".
Am I mistaken or should "FAT32" be part of this menu as well for a FAT32 formatted disk?
Old 24-09-2008

In you system you can easily have a mixture of NTFS and FAT volumes. A drive can comprise more than one volume.
Old 27-09-2008

Many thanks,
I reformatted my external drive. I'm now able to transfer my large video capture files to it.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: ,