Thread: no sound coming from speakers

no sound coming from speakers

I am running Windows XP and I dont know why there is no sound coming out from my speakers? I have rebooted the computer and also tried to update the audio device driver and adjusted the sound, but still nothing is working for me? Can anyone please help me out? Thanks.

RE: no sound coming from speakers

Can you first tell us whether the speakers have ever worked in the past fine before and is this recent issue? Check if they are properly plugged in. And did you test your speaker to ensure they are in working condition? Have you tried to do a System Restore of your system and go back upto 90 days?

RE: no sound coming from speakers

Actually, there are some files like Wav and MID files that are not working at all on Windows Media Player 10. Below is the information given by the "C-Media 3D Audio Config" program that came with my computer:

Sound card: C-Media
    + 3D Audio: Xear #D
    + Audio CODEC: CMI9739A
    + Audio Driver Version: 5.12.01.0039.3 (36)
    + Audio Controller: VIA 3059 Series Audio Controller
    +DirectX Version: 9.0b

I have the same problem with sound. The driver for the direct sound is missing. I re-installed the driver but to no avail. I looked at the solution as you mentioned but "no can do" as the device volume is still shaded and there is a comment that there is no audio and no playback device in the volume and audio tab resp. Any more idea please?

I forgot to mention that there is sound whenever I test it in the Music Tab of Direct x Diagnostic Tools. In the Sound Tab however, the test fails and there is a comment below as follows: DirectSound test results: Failure at step 3 (DirectSoundCreate): HRESULT = 0x88780078 (No driver).

Please help me.

Re: no sound coming from speakers

Well, since you have reinstalled the sound card drivers and if you are getting a DirectSound error, then you will need to reinstall DirectX and see if that works.

thanks Jerry. I've tried that one. Anyhow, I found out that the real reason why the sound card is greyed out -- it's because all the system drivers (in the Services) were disabled. I don't know how it happened but turning them all manually failed for some reason -- not until I used my back up of the registry from Spybot's folder. My computer is now working perfectly again.

I a using Windows XP SP3

For the past few days I have noticed that my laptop is not giving any sounds.

I have downloaded new drivers, but they are not getting installed - "Installation failed". Tried to uninstall the the existing drivers, its just not working. I have attached the screenshot of the audio device status

Pls help
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sound-cord-error-jpg  

hi!! hope that someone can help me!

I reinstalled windows sp3 to sp2 three days ago..the their is no sound at all, i installed the drivers and check it in the device manager but everything is fine i also used DXDIAG to make it sure but it's good. My speakers also are in good condition. How can i get back the audio?
    Is this a hardware defect? plss answer me thanks

Quote Originally Posted by simpayGTX View Post
    hi!! hope that someone can help me!

I reinstalled windows sp3 to sp2 three days ago..the their is no sound at all, i installed the drivers and check it in the device manager but everything is fine i also used DXDIAG to make it sure but it's good. My speakers also are in good condition. How can i get back the audio?
    Is this a hardware defect? plss answer me thanks
    Have you properly installed the drivers for your sound card on your computer? What is the full specifications of your pc by the way? Check the connections of the speaker wires, whether they are connected properly or not. You can also try to connect the speaker in some another computer and see to it whether it is a problem with the speakers itself only or something else. Can you also post the DxDiag reports.