Thread: Contents of My Documents folder disappeared!

Contents of My Documents folder disappeared!

There is some issue with files inside My Documents folder. It just disappear on its own. By default my all downloads went to that section. There are 3 accounts on my system. Now I am trying to locate the file but somehow it is not easy for me. I am not so technically advance. I tried a number of things here but nothing worked. Can anyone help me here to recover those files. I tried to find that manually but it does not looks to be working fine.

You said that you are having different accounts in your system. Try to login in admin account first. Then go in the C drive and click on Document and Settings. In that you can check different user accounts one by one. I think you would be able to find the same. The folder does not delete on its own. And even if you delete the same it will be created back, but the file once lost is not recoverable. Just try to check the same in different accounts and then test back.

Re: Contents of My Documents folder disappeared!

It can be some virus problem in your system. I will advice you to scan your system with a good antivirus tool under safe mode. There are chance that malware in your system can cause this kind of problems. Try to run system restore also. That might help. And the last thing you can do is go on Recyle bin and check for the folder. It is it available in then you can click on restore icon and get the folder back. Virus scanning is one of the most essential part here to fix the issue you are facing.

It can be due to some kind of antivirus also. Just try to scan your pc and check the files. There are chances that internal files might be the cause of issue. It is essential that you must first turn off the antivirus and then check the same back. Also go in the Folder Option and then simply disable hidden files. Which will be more appropriate in fixing the issue. Somehow the files can be hidden due to which it is not visible. Just unhide the same and test back.

The whole disappearing documents trick is one that my wife's computer just pulled on her. In her case I found the original my documents folder by following this path

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Recent

This path is sometimes hidden so you might need to use your folder options to see it. So it seems through some strange quirk the my documents had been moved into recent docs folder and a new empty my documents folder took its place in the start menu.

With regards to the previous post I should also say that searching for the files and folders that were in the My Documents folder didn't bring up any results. Somehow the move into the recent folder made them invisible to the windows search. We now think that the My Documents folder was inadvertently dragged down one step in the start menu which put it in the recent documents folder. hope this helps some people.

I was running combofix and the user profiles has dissapeared!
    They where quarantined. (For me it was c:\Qoobox\Quarantine\C\Documents and Settings) Find your quarantine folder.

(The way I found the files... searched for files that was created this week, because I could't recover them from the HDD {so no one ever deleted them and their extension changed to .vir so I couldn't locate them as .doc})

I just had the very same thing! Really scary, but this is exactly what happened to me too! I just registered to let other people know this too, it's a really dirty trick that windows should keep from happening!

This just happened today 10/8/10 at our office. first one computer then others connected to the server. A coworkers computer had new empty My Documents folder created yesterday. All desktop icon etc were also gone. My computer was fine until I right clicked on My Documents Folder and it was there but was emptying before my eyes. I turned off my computer and we are waiting for IT to show up. Does nayone know what is going on? and how to recover the lost files

Seems that something is wrong with your Server. Maybe some virus have created this problem. Have you tried to scan your system with latest anti-virus? Maybe scanning will resolve the issue. Talking about the recovery, if your files are on system, you can recover it. But if someone has done some mischief (added some scripts), there is no option other then formatting your server. Once you do formatting, all issues will be solved.

The same thing has happened to me!

The same thing has happened to me,but the documents folder is there and half the programs have disappeared and the background disappeared as well.this may have something to do with the fact that I opened an email and the attachment came up and then the computer crashed.i have looked in recent and it says i have no recent files.this crash happened about 2 months ago.notthing else has happened since then.i have norton 360 installed,it is a proper computer not a laptop.what can i do?
    Last edited by acsadler; 20-12-2011 at 10:22 PM.

Re: The same thing has happened to me!

Quote Originally Posted by acsadler View Post
    The same thing has happened to me,but the documents folder is there and half the programs have disappeared and the background disappeared as well.this may have something to do with the fact that I opened an email and the attachment came up and then the computer crashed.i have looked in recent and it says i have no recent files.this crash happened about 2 months ago.notthing else has happened since then.i have norton 360 installed,it is a proper computer not a laptop.what can i do?
    What is the operating system you have installed in your pc? Can you try to go to the Properties tab of your Document folder and from there go to the Previous Versions tab and it should show a list of previous versions of the folder, simply choose the one you want to restore and click restore, thats it, hopefully you will get the items back.

I have gone into the propertiers tab,but i can't find the previous versions tab anywhere,maybe it got deleted? As i am sure,it is pretty obvious,i'm not much of a wiz with the technical side of computing!