Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Permanently assigning drive letter to an external hard drive

Windows XP Support

Old 05-09-2008

Permanently assigning drive letter to an external hard drive

I have a Gateway Laptop with 250GB GB hard drive running on Windows XP Media Edition OS. As there are several important documents and apps stored on this drive, I use to connect an External 250GB HDD for my movies and music purpose. So when I need to play the music or when I need iTunes, I connect this HDD and remove once I?m done.

But the problem I?m facing is whenever I remove and reconnect it next time, the drive letter changes itself. And due to this all my shortcuts and iTunes configuration gets messed up. I want to assign a permanent Drive letter to this external HDD so that I don t need to go through the configuration process again and again.

Somebody please let me know how to do the same? Many Thanks.

Old 05-09-2008

Re: Permanently assigning drive letter to an external hard drive

As far as I know Windows XP by default assigns the next available drive letter to storage devices and hence I don’t think you will be able to permanently designate a drive letter.However you can try doing the same manually. For the same you will need to allot drive letters altogether and use NTFS mount points instead. While you won't get a drive letter, you will have a fixed path to your device which will not change and which can be substituted for a drive letter in many if not most applications.
Old 26-10-2008

It's easy without buying or downloading anything.

I know this thread is seven months old. BUT I just have to say ANNE I was having the same problem, Only I have two major externals for storage and back-ups, and of course numerous usb flash sticks.

So imagine the Drive letter change scenario's I was having.
CPMAC .Thanks I followed your hyperlink...........

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: , , , , ,