Thread: windows was unable to complete the disk check

windows was unable to complete the disk check

Hi, I am having a Toshiba Satellite P30 laptop running with Windows XP Home Edition SP3. All partitions are NTFS file system. Suddenly the laptop started giving me some problems. It stops working automatically but I can still move my mouse cursor and Alt+Tabs works fine. Nothing else works, I cannot click any Window or type anything.

This happens more than 20 times a day, I thought could be due to virus hence updated my Antivirus and performed deep scan but it dint found anything. Furthermore I ran Windows Update and installed all latest patches, also tried Disk Cleanup, and more but nothing helped. Later I thought to run CHKDSK and Defrag but none of these tools are running. Whenever I try to run the Check Disk, it gives me an error message saying : “windows was unable to complete the disk check"

Any idea what could be the problem and how can I fix it? Please help.

Re: windows was unable to complete the disk check

Even I think the problem is with Hard Drive itself. If your system’s Disk Checker is not running then I will suggest you to try out third party disc checker tool. The one I can suggest you is this Disk Checker http://www.rssoftlab.com/dskchkr31.zip . It is is a full-featured disk diagnostics and repairs tool with backup ability. This program runs under Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP. Disk Checker includes two separate methods of disk checking: using file-access or direct access to disk surface. You can also booth this from disk or floppy and that looks for bad sectors on your type of disk.

Also which antivirus suite do you use?

Thanks for the help but i dont think it is the hard drive, to me probably it seems like network driver or Internet Explorer. Anyways, i will try to find out more on this later. As of now i managed to run CHKDSK from recovery console, and it is still running. Lets see what happens. If that doesn't fixes the problem i will surely try out the tool you provided above.

Here is the update. Finally the CHKDSK completed from recovery console and it also showed message saying it has fixed the problems. I was very happy but only until i booted the laptop.

The system still freezes like before and yet i am not able to run Check Disk from Command Prompt. I dont have any ideas left.

As you said you think the problem is with network or Internet Explorer, here are few things you need to check in IE:

The very first thing you need to check IE addons. Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer (No add-ons). See if still the problem occurs. If yes, then simply reset IE settings. You can do this by going to Tools > Internet Options > Advanced. Click on "Reset" button. Click OK. Close all browsers. Reboot the computer.