Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Can't get computer to start in Safe Mode

Windows XP Support

Old 30-08-2008

Can't get computer to start in Safe Mode

I want to undo an issue that happened after installing a Webroot Spyware update. Windows XP will boot up and let me login to my user account. It will also load all the desktop background but it will not shut down and restart on its own after some time. I cannot get into the Safe Mode as well. I need some assitance.

Old 30-08-2008

Re: Can't get computer to start in Safe Mode

Incase the F8 key is failing to give you the safe mode menu then you can try booting to the XP setup CD. After that press "R" to open the Recovery Console and then run the command: chkdsk /r
Old 30-08-2008

Re: Can't get computer to start in Safe Mode

You can also try to boot with a Windows CD and then log into the recovery consoe. At the disk prompt run this command -
chkdsk
fixboot
bootcfg /rebuild
exit

After that you can try to boot again without the CD. There might be some time that the command fixmbr can be started as well to fix this issue.
Old 30-08-2008

RE: Can't get computer to start in Safe Mode

You have to tap and not hold down the F8 key right from the moment you push the Power Button on, to get to Safe Mode.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: ,