Thread: sound. windows xp reinstall no sound drivers or mixerdevices

sound. windows xp reinstall no sound drivers or mixerdevices

Hey guys, need some urgent help. I have a windows XP desktop. Last week I got some virus from Flash drive and it created several problems. Hence simply formatted the entire hard drive, created new partition and installed clean Windows XP. Installation went fine without any error. Now whenever I try to play anything in Windows Media Player it gives me an error message saying:

“Cannot play the file due to no sound device installed on your computer”

Or something similar to that. I don’t know how to fix. Earlier I had sound on my computer. I don’t know which sound card is installed in my system. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: sound. windows xp reinstall no sound drivers or mixerdevices

After re-installing Windows, did you installed the drivers? You might have received a Driver CD along with the motherboard. Run the same and install all drivers. Sound will work fine.

Thats correct. You need to re-install the drivers manually after installing windows. And if you already tried running the Driver's and still the problem remains then Click Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Information. Now click on Components > and select Sound Device. here on the right pane you will see all information regarding your Sound Card. Simply visit the manufacturers official website and download the drivers. Thats it.

hi...i got the same problem too...try this this...go to control panel..then click on sounds, speech and audio devices..then click on sounds and devices..got to hardware...then look for c-media ac97 audio device...highlight it then click on troubleshoot...your pc will now look for its driver automatically...after a few minutes your sound will be back..you may try by playing any music for this..if you have added a new sound card, look for the details of it and maybe you can find a driver for it on the net.

hey guys...got the same problem but it's kinda different...it's like am not able to listen any kind of sound when am playing videos in youtube or any online related music even am not able to hear the windows xp start up tone but when am playing downloaded songs or videos am getting sound....please suggest me some way to resolve this problem...thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by vorsorex View Post
    hey guys...got the same problem but it's kinda different...it's like am not able to listen any kind of sound when am playing videos in youtube or any online related music even am not able to hear the windows xp start up tone but when am playing downloaded songs or videos am getting sound....please suggest me some way to resolve this problem...thanks.
    You could try to get Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP, and install TweakUI or you could try the below fix to solve the sound issue:

Go to Start/Run and type regedit
    Press Enter.
    Click on the [+] sign next to HKEY_CURRENT_USER
    and then on the [+] next to Control Panel.
    Click on the entry called Sound and look at the right pane.
    See whether the value for the word "Beeps" is "yes" or "no".
    If it says "no", right click on the word "Beeps", click on modify, and set the value to Yes.