Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Automation Question: How do you stop a process from a .bat file?

Windows XP Support

Old 05-08-2008

Automation Question: How do you stop a process from a .bat file?

There is a program on running utilizes a service to connect to a special USB device. If the application terminates then it leaves the service running. When the program is run again then it fails to connect to its hardware. I have noticecd that if I manually terminate the service and then run the program, then it restarts the service and always connects to the hardware. I have told the manufacturer for this problem, but as a temporary workaround I want to launch the program using a bat file and when it terminates, the bat file will stop the service. Can anyone please help? Thanks

Old 05-08-2008

Normally, the xnets.exe is the name of the executable, not necessarily the service name. The service name is shown in the list of services; right click on a service and click properties and then the service name is shown. When the service name has blanks in it, then you will have to use double quotation marks in the "net stop" command, for example - net stop "service name".
Old 05-08-2008

Re: Automation Question: How do you stop a process from a .bat fil

Thank you, I have checekd the XNETS which is the name of the service, and it does work in the script file.
Old 06-08-2008

You can also try to use "sc stop" instead of "net stop". For processes, download the Process Utility tool. Below are the Command Line Process Viewer/Killer/Suspender

Usage:

ProcessUtility.exe [-v] [-t] [-c]
ProcessUtility.exe [-q] [Process Name/PID] [timeout sec(optional)]
ProcessUtility.exe [-k] [-s] [-r] [Process Name/PID]
ProcessUtility.exe [-p] [Process Name/PID]
{RealTime|High|AboveNormal|Normal|BelowNormal|Low}
ProcessUtility.exe [-a] [Process Name/PID] [Mask(To Set)]

-v View Processes.
-t View Kernel and User CPU Times.
-c View Process Creation Times.
-q Send WM_CLOSE Message. Default timeout is 60 Sec
-k Kill Process. (Terminate)
-s Suspend Process.
-r Resume Suspended Process.
-p Set Process Priority.
-a Get/Set Affinity Mask of Process.

PROCUTIL -q [PID] 5
Old 12-08-2008

Thanks for that, I will try to do what you have suggested, since I have a script file that works most of the time, occasionally it fails to stop Xnets.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: