Thread: Start up Error- Explorer.EXE Unable to locate Component

Start up Error- Explorer.EXE Unable to locate Component

I am looking for some urgent help from you guys. I have a Windows XP running laptop with service pack 3. Since past two days whenever I start the computer I get an error message saying:

“This application failed because SHDOCVWW.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.”

I have no idea what application is it talking about. There is no other information on the screen. Also i cannot use anything on this system anymore except the task manager. Somebody please help.

Re: Start up Error- Explorer.EXE Unable to locate Component

I guess there is some problem with any of your system files. Hence you should try out running SFC /SCANNOW command to fix them. As you said you are able to use Task Manager, click New Task button and type the following:

SFC /SCANNOW

Press Enter to run the same. If task manager buttons also turn out unclickable then you will need to boot into Safe Mode with Command Prompt and then run the command. For more help regarding this problem will suggest you to better check the following MS Article:

How to analyze the log file entries that the Microsoft Windows Resource Checker (SFC.exe) program generates in Windows:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;928228

I appreciate your help Scott2580, i tried out the steps provided in that article running SFC but that dint fixed anything. Still getting the same error on boot up. Also the article link you provided is for Vista whereas i am using Windows XP. Anyways, it dint helped. Any other solution please?

Hello Aghuvi, do you have XP Installation CD? If yes, simply boot into Recovery Console and repair Windows. The problem should go away.