Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links



Welcome Screen Freeze-up

Windows XP Support


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 02-08-2008
Mila
 
Posts: n/a
Welcome Screen Freeze-up

Hi all --

I've got a bit of a strange problem that started today. I have my settings
such that I completely bypass the Welcome Screen, and the computer goes
directly to the Desktop upon loading.

Today when I turned on my computer, it went to the desktop -- that is, the
wallpaper was visible, but not the icons or the start menu or anything -- and
then suddenly switched to the Welcome Screen. I clicked on my username and
the message "Logging in" appeared, then "Loading your personal settings". But
instead of going to the desktop, it switched to "Logging off", "Saving your
personal settings", etc. I ended up right back where I started -- on the
Welcome Screen.

I tried restarting several times, but had the same problem. Then I tried
restarting in Safe Mode (regular, "With Command Prompt", and "Last Known Good
Configuration") but had the same problem. I ran the built-in diagnostics, to
make sure there was nothing wrong with the hardware, but everything's peachy.

I run one of Spybot's background programs -- a watchdog program that keeps
an eye out for registry changes. Yesterday, the last time I logged in
properly, I got a series of 6 popups immediately upon loading telling me that
there had been 6 different registry changes. I denied them all, since I
hadn't installed any programs (to my knowledge; I've got Windows update on
auto so it might've done something without me knowing).

I've pretty much run out of ideas as to how to fix it. Does anyone know of
any solutions short of reinstalling Windows? It seems like it's a problem
with the login/logout processes -- is there some way to replace those files
with the defaults remotely without actually logging into Windows?

I'm running XP Home on a Dell Inspiron, if that helps.

Thanks --

-- Mila

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-08-2008
Nepatsfan
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Welcome Screen Freeze-up

"Mila" <Mila@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:4C74DCDC-DD02-49EA-9251-27C4C79FFC02@microsoft.com...
> Hi all --
>
> I've got a bit of a strange problem that started today. I have my settings
> such that I completely bypass the Welcome Screen, and the computer goes
> directly to the Desktop upon loading.
>
> Today when I turned on my computer, it went to the desktop -- that is, the
> wallpaper was visible, but not the icons or the start menu or anything -- and
> then suddenly switched to the Welcome Screen. I clicked on my username and
> the message "Logging in" appeared, then "Loading your personal settings". But
> instead of going to the desktop, it switched to "Logging off", "Saving your
> personal settings", etc. I ended up right back where I started -- on the
> Welcome Screen.
>
> I tried restarting several times, but had the same problem. Then I tried
> restarting in Safe Mode (regular, "With Command Prompt", and "Last Known Good
> Configuration") but had the same problem. I ran the built-in diagnostics, to
> make sure there was nothing wrong with the hardware, but everything's peachy.
>
> I run one of Spybot's background programs -- a watchdog program that keeps
> an eye out for registry changes. Yesterday, the last time I logged in
> properly, I got a series of 6 popups immediately upon loading telling me that
> there had been 6 different registry changes. I denied them all, since I
> hadn't installed any programs (to my knowledge; I've got Windows update on
> auto so it might've done something without me knowing).
>
> I've pretty much run out of ideas as to how to fix it. Does anyone know of
> any solutions short of reinstalling Windows? It seems like it's a problem
> with the login/logout processes -- is there some way to replace those files
> with the defaults remotely without actually logging into Windows?
>
> I'm running XP Home on a Dell Inspiron, if that helps.
>
> Thanks --
>
> -- Mila



I'm guessing that your account is the only one that you have on your laptop. If
that's the case, try the following.

Restart your computer and boot into Safe Mode.
When you get tossed back to the Welcome screen, hit the Ctrl + Alt + Delete keys
at the same time twice.
This should make the Log On to Windows dialog appear.
In the User name box, enter Administrator.
Unless someone changed the default password for the Administrator account you
can leave the password box blank.
Click OK.

If you're able to log on with the Administrator account, go to Control Panel and
create a new user account that's a Computer Administrator. Restart your laptop
and see if you can logon with this new account. If so, you might want to copy
the files from your old account into this new account.

How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new profile
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/811151

Note: You will have to use a third account which is a computer administrator in
order to copy the files. You can use the built-in Administrator account (only
available in Safe Mode in XP Home Edition) or create a temporary admin account
that can be deleted once the procedure is completed.

Good luck

Nepatsfan


Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-08-2008
Mila
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Welcome Screen Freeze-up

"Nepatsfan" wrote:
>
> I'm guessing that your account is the only one that you have on your laptop. If
> that's the case, try the following.
>
> Restart your computer and boot into Safe Mode.
> When you get tossed back to the Welcome screen, hit the Ctrl + Alt + Delete keys
> at the same time twice.
> This should make the Log On to Windows dialog appear.
> In the User name box, enter Administrator.
> Unless someone changed the default password for the Administrator account you
> can leave the password box blank.
> Click OK.
>
> If you're able to log on with the Administrator account, go to Control Panel and
> create a new user account that's a Computer Administrator. Restart your laptop
> and see if you can logon with this new account. If so, you might want to copy
> the files from your old account into this new account.
>
> How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new profile
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/811151
>
> Note: You will have to use a third account which is a computer administrator in
> order to copy the files. You can use the built-in Administrator account (only
> available in Safe Mode in XP Home Edition) or create a temporary admin account
> that can be deleted once the procedure is completed.
>
> Good luck
>
> Nepatsfan
>


If only it was that easy!

When I did as you suggested, hitting Ctrl-Alt-Del and logging in as
Administrator in safe mode, I was simply directed back to the Welcome Screen,
with the messages, "Logging off", "Saving your settings", etc -- just like
when I had tried to log in as myself in a regular startup. The only
difference was that I didn't even get a flash of the desktop, just got sent
straight back to the Welcome Screen.

Thanks though.

Mila
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 16-08-2008
Chad
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Welcome Screen Freeze-up

I'm having exactly the same problem. Happened after I updated Windows Home
XP and Spybot 1.6 yesterday.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 16-08-2008
Maurice N ~ MVP
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Welcome Screen Freeze-up

Chad,

Have you tried booting up in Safe Mode, from which you can do some research and tweaks as needed.
As the pc is powering up (or as you force a reboot), tap & repeat tapping F8 Function key to get to Advanced Bootup options.
Then select Safe Mode.

I'd suggest you turn off the Windows duh-fault restart on error.
Right Click the My Computer icon on desktop. Select Properties.
Next, select Advanced. Look for a block that says Startup and recovery. Press the settings button.

In System failure section, turn off (un-check) Automatically restart.

Write an event to system log should be Checked (selected).
Apply change.

If you should later on see a STOP error, write down all of the codes and text. And then you can do research (as well as posting here).
HTH
--
Maurice Naggar
MS-MVP
-----

"Chad" <Chad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:76674B57-0551-4CF6-A5AA-C2655E59CA42@microsoft.com...
> I'm having exactly the same problem. Happened after I updated Windows Home
> XP and Spybot 1.6 yesterday.

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-09-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 7
I have this SAME exact problem. Windows did an update as I ws closing down computer and I let it update and turn the computer off. The next day the same problem ocurred. I think it had something to do with the Windows update which may have DLd netware to my computer.

Anyhow, you don't understand, The Is NO start button, no My computer Button there is nothing but the frozen Welcome Screen. Somehow it changed my computer to switch off Fast Switching between users. I had NO PASSWORD set for either my user name or Administrator because I was the only one in the house using it (meaning I live alone).

I tried the so called "fixes" Microsoft says - neither worked. (I really like the one where you control tab and hit enter for information that you can't see behind the welcome screen!) I tried the Control Alt Del twice and I get a written log on screen with my first name and I have to input a password and nothing works there. Booting up to Safe Mode, C prompt and all the other choices ALL go back to this same Welcome Screen Freeze. There is no way to access this computer to even attempt a restore or attempt to change users. At this point it looks like I am going to have to slave this driver to another one inorder to get my information.

To add insult to injury, Microsoft had me fill out a customer satisfaction survey after I checked out there so called two pages that are supposed to help you.

Can you think of anything else besides a wipe? Would even doing a windows repair help?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-09-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 7
Well I tried safe mode with administrator and clicked OK, still would do nothing. So then I hauled out the recovery disks from mftr and it would not run them either. I tried to get into bios to change boot up sequence, since this desktop still has a A drive, can't access bios.

When I tried several times using the recovery disk, once I got cannot find file i386\system 32\kdcom.dll could not be loaded and then error code 32768.
Another time it said it could not load ntkrnlmp.exe and gave me same error code 32768.

This Win XP and HD is 7 years old and was partitioned 80 meg drive into c and D. When I tried booting to safe mode, I got a page of stuff mentioning something about the partioning, but then it went into the same welcome screen with the administrator.

I am at my wits end.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 13-09-2008
Maurice N ~ MVP
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Welcome Screen Freeze-up

Maureen,

Keep in mind that my previous response was to Chad.

At the welcome screen, when prompted for login, skip the password field, and press the OK button.
That is worth a try.

As to the rest, and your attempt at using the Recovery CD, the state of your Windows is at question.
Let me suggest you look for and use your pc manufacturer's support website.

--
Maurice Naggar
MS-MVP
-----


"Maureen14" <Maureen14.3fm87c@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message news:Maureen14.3fm87c@DoNotSpam.com...
>
> Well I tried safe mode with administrator and clicked OK, still would do
> nothing. So then I hauled out the recovery disks from mftr and it would
> not run them either. I tried to get into bios to change boot up
> sequence, since this desktop still has a A drive, can't access bios.
>
> When I tried several times using the recovery disk, once I got cannot
> find file i386\system 32\kdcom.dll could not be loaded and then error
> code 32768.
> Another time it said it could not load ntkrnlmp.exe and gave me same
> error code 32768.
>
> This Win XP and HD is 7 years old and was partitioned 80 meg drive into
> c and D. When I tried booting to safe mode, I got a page of stuff
> mentioning something about the partioning, but then it went into the
> same welcome screen with the administrator.
>
> I am at my wits end.
>
>
> --
> Maureen14
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Maureen14's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/maureen14.htm
> View this thread: Welcome Screen Freeze-up
>
> http://forums.techarena.in
>

Reply With Quote
Reply

  TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags:



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads for: "Welcome Screen Freeze-up"
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
T-mobile G2x freeze at update screen, need help Iravan Portable Devices 7 10-09-2011 12:42 PM
Dual screen freeze Courtland Portable Devices 6 25-06-2010 11:43 AM
Sony PRS-600 freeze on home screen Charites Portable Devices 4 19-03-2010 12:31 PM
windows 7 freeze and blue screen montee Operating Systems 4 23-02-2009 09:52 AM
Frequent Screen Freeze EvChrysler300 Vista Help 18 22-09-2008 12:13 PM


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:32 PM.