Thread: DVD drive not reading sometimes after SP3

DVD drive not reading sometimes after SP3

I noticed that my dvd drive doesnt want to recognize a disk thats inserted or it suddenly doesnt realize that the same disk thats been in the drive for a week which is still in the drive. There is no problem in the device manager, I have checked for Windows updates and there are none since reloading the computer some weeks ago, removed the drive from the device manager and reinstalled, search for an hour on the web for others with the same issues and still no luck. Can anyone please help.

Re: DVD drive not reading sometimes after SP3

Can you try to boot to safe mode by pressing F8 on restart and log on as the default administrator? After that find and click this registry key - HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Protected Storage System Provider and then on the edit menu click Permissions. After that click the registry key for the user that is currently logged on and ensure that Read and Full Control are both set to Allow.

Now try to click the Advanced button, make sure that the user that is currently logged on is selected, that Full Control is listed in the Permissions column, and that. This Key and Subkeys is listed in the Apply to column. Click to select the Replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects check box. Click Apply , and then click Yes when you receive a prompt to continue. Click OK , and then click OK again. Just do the same for the other users.

Well, I have narrowed this down to multiple user problems.

When another user is logged into XP, subsequent users are not able to access the CD/DVD drive.

To resolve the problem, log the other user off and try again.